New Visitor
ao2007

How do I set up a fraud alert for all three credit bureaus?

How do I set up a fraud alert for all three credit bureaus?  Someone had called my wife about consolidating her student loan, they asked for a whole lot of personal information and she gave them her social security number, etc.  After talking to me about it she became suspicious of this person being an identity theft predator.  How can she protect herself?  Is there a phone number dedicated to setting up fraud alerts with transunion, equifax & experian?

Thanks,

AO

htc

Re: How do I set up a fraud alert for all three credit bureaus?

[ Edited ]
It's real easy....  Just go online to their websites.. You should only have to do one and they will tell the others but to be sure do it yourself.

This link would be better

experian.com
equifax.com
transunion.com

and do it NOW :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by htc on 04-20-2007 02:41 PM

Message Edited by htc on 04-20-2007 02:44 PM
New Visitor
ao2007

Thanks!
AO
Moderator Emeritus
masdeocho

Yikes.  Yes, if you call one credit bureau they are supposed to notify the other two.  But why trust them to do it?  Call all 3 yourself.  Just takes 3 phone calls.  While you're at it, ask them if a credit freeze is available in your state.  This prevents anyone (including you) from opening any credit in your name without jumping thru a lot more hoops than just the fraud alert.
-----------------
Bartender, bring another round of FICOtinis please!

9.4.2011: TU 805. EQ 815.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}