cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do i inquire about a Collection Agency saying i owe something and didn't know of it.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do i inquire about a Collection Agency saying i owe something and didn't know of it.

I just bought suze's kit and found out my score was lower than i thought because of a collection agency i wasn't aware of. How do i inquire about a Collection Agency on my fico score and how do i contact them or find their #. can somebody help me how i can call them to inquire about it. it says i owe $161 but don't know what it is and didn't received anything. **bleep** also is only marked on my transunion (674) and experian (663). my quifax is 798 since they didn't have it. how can this happen. and me wanting good credit how do i change this. i'll pay it just to clear it. will this change my score. they also have my current address but i didn't receive any notices. new to this. please help somebody.

Message Edited by agirl76 on 06-23-2007 12:18 AM
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How do i inquire about a Collection Agency saying i owe something and didn't know of it.

If I sent you a random bill for $1000 would you just pay me? Of course not. Dispute it as "not mine" with the CRAs.

PS.. Welcome!

Message Edited by Tuscani on 06-23-2007 09:16 AM

Message Edited by Tuscani on 06-23-2007 09:17 AM
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How do i inquire about a Collection Agency saying i owe something and didn't know of it.

as said above you should dispute it with the CRA's first....if you don't get your desired results I would try a DV with the CA...as I have learnd here very often they don't have the information to back up their demands and sometimes ...not always...they may go away.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

good point. i'll try that, but first, since i'm new, what is cra's. is that collection r agency? dispute at collection agency first then the experian? is this right? thanks in advance.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks for the additional advice. as mentioned to the prior person who advised me, what do the intiials stand for (CRA's first....if you don't get your desired results I would try a DV with the CA...). please clarify. not experienced with the verbage as of yet. thanks?
Message 5 of 6
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Dispute with the CRAs first (Experian, Transunion, and Equifax). They should delete. They have 30 days to investigate and verify it is yours. Assuming they verify it as yours (in this case they shouldn't) let us know and we can pursue other options. Good luck!

Dispute links:

Message Edited by Tuscani on 06-23-2007 02:31 PM
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.