Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do we unfreeze Equifax?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do we unfreeze Equifax?

My DH's reports are frozen and we want to just unfreeze EQ.  Their site said to send in a letter with the confirmation number, two copies of ID.  I mailed it in TWICE and they kept on sending back a generic letter telling us how to unfreeze the account.  Has anyone have experience with this?  Freezing was easy but unfreezing is pretty hard so far.  On top of that, they cashed the $10 check I send last time.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How do we unfreeze Equifax?

Send a copy of the check you sent and they cashed, along with a copy of their letter, copy of your information and include a cover page that says in big, bold letters......I AM REQUESTING THE FREEZE TO BE PERMANENTLY LIFTED

Then below that I would explain that you have sent the information to lift the freeze twice and keep getting that generic letter back about how to lift it.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Exact same thing happened to me. Even the followup letter as Sidewinder described didn't work.

I ended up calling them directly, provided the freeze pin number, explained what was happening, and the person lifted the permanent freeze immediately. Two months went by until I finally tried calling. 1-888-298-0045.

Should have called first.

Message 3 of 4
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Equifax can supply you with two PIN's the first PIN is the one that identifies you to Equifax. They can give a second PIN which will be four digits in length. This PIN is for lenders to use when they pull your credit report. Call Equifax and ask for that second PIN. This way you can keep your credit report frozen if you desire

Message Edited by AndySoCal on 04-29-2009 07:37 PM
FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.