cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you approach someone about fixing their credit?

tag
Subexistence
Established Contributor

Re: How do you approach someone about fixing their credit?

Just like to point out a coincidence from the story you posted https://nypost.com/2010/04/24/stabbed-hero-dies-as-more-than-20-people-stroll-past-him/ The NY story story of a helpless man dying happened in Jamaica. Was that intentional? Capturejamaica.PNG

Anyways it can be argued that the man would not have died if he didn't offer unsolicited help to the woman. Although the woman might have died if he hadn't. I think both of you guys are right on this one.

Starting Score: Ex08-732,Eq08-713,Tu08-717
Current Score:Ex08-795,Eq08-807,Tu08-787,EX98-761,Eq04-742
Goal Score: Ex98-760,Eq04-760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

History of my credit
Message 21 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jamaica, NY just to be clear.

Message 22 of 29
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@joltdude wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@joltdude wrote:

Sorry SJ.. not gonna quite agree with you on this one... If you offer the olive branch in a private, nonjudgemental setting... esp since they seem to have acknowledged it to the OP before.... they can either take it or leave it .. Just butting out is denying them an oppurtunity you can offer.. if your careful and respect their privacy and dont have an audience... they might actually take you up on it... Its similar to confronting folks with other addictions or vices... 

Voice of experience.. Iv actually helped a few family members..some were just.. not knowledgable about building credit and others were below FP territory and kept trying and getting rejected... Actually helped to do some rebuilding and baddie fixing with that one...

If you decide to do it, you privately make the offer, and leave it at that... if they dont take it.. just dont bring it up again... let them make the move... but just opening the door should not be a problem as long as its not in front of an audience.. 

Theres also the "been there done that" and ability to relate..... Admitting you have or had a problem, could lead to others asking about it ... thats how recovery for a lot of vices works.. 

-J

It's pretty condescending to suggest that credit problems are a "vice" which is tantamount to "addiction"

Some credit problems are the result of such 'vices' as loss of a job, medical problems for onesself or a loved one, disability, natural disasters, car accidents, etc.

Your giving your unsolicited advice to your family members is your business.

But coworkers are not your relatives.

SJ

Again. misinterpreting me ... I was trying to show the similarity in handling credit problems as to handling addiction and how to approach it.. 

Did not once say that credit problems are a vice....or imply that credit problems are an addiction... Sometimes stuff happens that puts you in a bad situation.. medical bills, etc...  geesh

Perhaps i should of been more blunt....

You have already made your mind up on your opinion, now let me have mine without attempting to make it sound like im being condescending...

Youll do what youll do.. Ill do what ill do...... 

If someone brings it up.. Yeah I have a problem/ some problems... HELL YES its solicited... they are ASKING FOR HELP.. now whether they want to accept it is another issue entirely.. instead of just ignoring it since its not your problem...

This is an example of what happens when its "not my problem/none of my buisness"

https://nypost.com/2010/04/24/stabbed-hero-dies-as-more-than-20-people-stroll-past-him/

Thanks for your insight... 

-J

1. You absolutely referred to credit problems as "vices"; maybe that's not what you meant but it is what you said.

2. I never for a moment suggested that we should not try to help neighbors in need, I only stated that offering unsolicited advice to a coworker on how to repair his credit is in my view unwise.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 23 of 29
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

The easy solution here would just be to lock the thread and move on, or just whack all the new posts from today.

That said, I'm going to ask all involved to take a step back and stop the bickering dialog about definitions and similar except to state the following: people are entitled to their own opinion and are allowed to state that opinion (within reason); attacking the opinion is fine, attacking the person is not.  

I know it's awkward and the moderators are viewed as the playground police and the rumor is you have to be channelling your inner 8 year old to be successful here, but seriously, it's not that challenging of a line we're asking you to walk.

--Revelate, myFICO moderator

        
Message 24 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I happen to appreciate the debate above, as it shows passion from two opposing views, neither of which is "right" or "wrong."

Message 25 of 29
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I happen to appreciate the debate above, as it shows passion from two opposing views, neither of which is "right" or "wrong."

On the assumption this is not quite questioning moderator actions, the problematic sections were redacted.

The thread has value not only in my personal opinion, but also in my official capacity (which I try to wield as little as possible), hence the decision not to simply blow the thread away or consign it to fading into obscurity from everything except the Almighty Google.

--Revelate, myFICO moderator

        
Message 26 of 29
Rebuilding69
Established Contributor

Good thing I work with people who don't mind helping each other.

Too many safe spaces invading this world.

Message 27 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit problems Are a vice for some people like drugs, etc. Whoever posted didnt say it means all people with credit issues have a vice. sheesh.

Message 28 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rev, I'm not questioning moderator actions persay, as I know nothing about what goes into being a moderator and I know you have things like TOS to consider at all times, etc. 

I would think the bottom line though is whether or not the conversation (debate, etc) adds value to the forum or not, no?  Like anything in life, you may find 10% of the people may think it takes away value, but if 90% of people are finding value in something don't we more or less see it as a "good" thing?

I think of this topic relative to my employees, of which I have about 80 currently.  All members of a team have their strengths and opportunities.  All the time, those strengths and opportunities need to be weighed (wither consciously or subconsciously) to determine how the individual either adds value or takes away value from the team.  Someone may have a laundry list of strengths and all it takes is one bad opportunity to zap their value-adding chances... like a tendency to curse at customers for example.  Conversely you have someone else that has a laundry list of strengths and their only opportunity is ironing their shirt a little better.  Are we going to nix the guy with the wrinkled shirt?  Probably not.  What about the guy with the horrific CS skills?  Maybe so.  The bottom line is that people are assessed at all times based on their strengths, opportunities and whether or not the net result adds value to the team.

I would think some of this sort of thought process may go into the officiating of threads on the forum.  Honestly I don't know how it works.  If you'd be willing to share any of that at all with us I would find it pretty cool.

Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.