Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you opt-in?

tag
Brooklyn2018
Valued Contributor

How do you opt-in?

Hi, EVERYONE!

I’m totally new to all the opt-in and opt-out stuff. I don’t know whether or not I’m “IN or OUT?” How do you check to see if you are or aren’t? Some direction or explanation of, “HOW TO?” would be much appreciated, as I could not find it?

I know my scores are low and shouldn’t worry about that now but, once they start gaining strength, I’d like to know who’s radar im on?
Thanks in advance!👍

...and if it’s here. Somewhere(?) can anyone just post the thread on how to check or know whether you are or aren’t? That would be great!

Thanks!
😊

Goal Score: 600(within a year)**MET MY GOAL** | Goal Score: 700**MET MY GOAL** | Goal score: 800
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

>

I❤️NY
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How do you opt-in?

By default you should already be opted in for pre-screened offers. I don't think there is an actual way to check if you are opted in or out.

If you have recently received a mail offer with the pre-screen notice, then you know that you are opted in unless you recently opted out.

If you are unsure and want to ensure that you are "opted in", you can do it manually at https://www.optoutprescreen.com, but that's technically not "check" your status. Even if you are actually opted in, you can still perform the action just to be sure (same for opt out).

Message 2 of 6
Brooklyn2018
Valued Contributor

Thanks, PlyrStar93!!👍👍👍

😊

Goal Score: 600(within a year)**MET MY GOAL** | Goal Score: 700**MET MY GOAL** | Goal score: 800

>

I❤️NY
Message 3 of 6
EvilR-T
Frequent Contributor

Don't mean to hijack, but I'm curious. I have all the cards I want for now. My scores are almost at 800.  Utilization is a 4%. I've been opted out for about 6 years for the simple fact that I hated being flooded with junk offers for lame cards with annual fees. That's when my scores were in the high 600s. I'm not looking for credit. Besides offers for credit, are there any benefits to being opted in?

Message 4 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

A possible benefit is the knowledge that your current credit file is meeting standard qualification requirments of creditors.

The entire opt in or out process relates to the procedure provided under FCRA 604 that permits creditors to submit specific qualification criteria to a CRA, and have the CRA screen their files for consumers who currently meet those specified criteria.

It is a favor to creditors, permitting them to then send offers only to those whose files show they are likely to qualify.

Pre-screened offers that indicate they are based on a listing obtained from a CRA are a bit more than simple junk mail.

They comprise a firm offer for credit that the creditor must then grant if you apply and are found to still meet the criteria submitted to the CRA.

For those rebuilding, it is a good way to determine when they are beginning to meet standard creditor requirements.

For those not interested in new credit, it may only be of interest, but of little practical use.

Message 5 of 6
Brooklyn2018
Valued Contributor

Thanks, RobertEG!!👍

😊

>

I❤️NY
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.