Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does Amex work?

tag
UnderEstimated
Contributor

Re: How does Amex work?

I have the AMEX Rewards Gold card with no pre-set.  I normally just use it as my debit card for the rewards points and pay in full at the end of the month.  When I first got the card a year ago, they would suspend purchases once I hit $500.  It happened every month until last Dec. when I called them up to figure out why this was happening.  Well, their computer system had my income at $18,000 a year when I make well more than that.  Now I can easily charge several thousands without a problem.  So, while it may say there is no-preset, it's determined on your normal spending habits and the annual income you have listed with them on file.  It's probably worth it to make sure it's correct.
Message 61 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

On the Mega AMEX thread over on CIC, posters have reported having an AMEX Blue with $25K to $35K limits.
Message 62 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

weezie,

Since your current AMEX green was issued in early 2004, then you're definitely in the "gray zone". I don't know exactly when AMEX began blacklisting, but it's a recent phenomenon. Friend of mine works at AMEX, and circa 2002 he told me they had customers with AMEX cards who were originally issued cards in the early 70s, but had been thru a series of cards issued, kept in good standing, defaulted, then later re-issued a card. 2005 to 2006 is when I start seeing talk of an AMEX blacklist on CIC.

So long as your current AMEX cards stay current, you should not ever have a problem from the old defaulted Green. Although it might disqualify you from ever getting an AMEX Black Card.

Message 63 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

Noah_Bodie wrote:
On the Mega AMEX thread over on CIC, posters have reported having an AMEX Blue with $25K to $35K limits.

Thank you Noah.  I was afraid I was going to have to repeat myself repeat myself again.
Message 64 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

Noah_Bodie wrote:

Phouchg,

With FICOs in the mid 600s, with no AMEX default in your past, and you should be good for an AMEX Delta Skymiles. You can apply online for multiple AMEX cards, and if you do it all same day at most you'll get 1 INQ per CRA. Might try an AMEX Green and a Skymiles.

I got the Skymiles approval tonight - $2000 CL, baby!

I'm gonna BT an evil Orchard card I have $1600 on (and 29.99% interest) then stick the skymiles in the sockdrawer.

This forum rocks!

Message 65 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX tends to be very giving with the CLIs. Some folks have the brass tacks to apply for and obtain a CLI just days after getting the card. There's a link on the AMEX website after you log in the account.

You might wanna head over to CIC and join in with the other AMEX pagans posting your AMEX success on the Mega AMEX thread. It's fun for the whole family.

Congrats!
Message 66 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

A post today on the CIC AMEX mega thread. $50K CLI on AMEX Blue.
Message 67 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

Noah_Bodie wrote:
AMEX tends to be very giving with the CLIs. Some folks have the brass tacks to apply for and obtain a CLI just days after getting the card. There's a link on the AMEX website after you log in the account.

You might wanna head over to CIC and join in with the other AMEX pagans posting your AMEX success on the Mega AMEX thread. It's fun for the whole family.

Congrats!

Yup, I remember seeing the thread there a while back when the AmEx worshippers were posting hourly about getting hefty CLIs... maybe that was you.  Smiley Wink

I only switched to the Blue because I didn't want to keep paying the AF on the Green.  But still couldn't bare to cut that one up. Smiley Happy  I'm going to request a CLI at month end.  It will be interesting because I refused to provide income info when I applied.  I'm sure they'll ask again when I request enough credit to buy that $78k car, LOL.
Message 68 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not me, not really, not yet. Wife got an Optima Oasis offer with a $1300 CL. She signed and sent it off. Still waiting for the TL and the CC.
Message 69 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which AMEX would i qualify with this score..

TU 572
EX 573
EQ 609

Never had an AMEX before but do have Citicards defaulted on my report tho.

I see all the poeple here talking about AMEX...somebody should have good suggestion. thanks!
Message 70 of 81
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.