Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does a PDF work?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How does a PDF work?

When shopping for a car loan back in March I learned a had bad credit/ no credit. Since then I have been working hard to repair/ build my credit. When I first checked my score I had a charge off from verizon wireless in 2005. This charge of then changed to a sold to collection in 2007 when i was settling another unreported debt with a CA. The CA I settled with then started collecting on my verizon charge off. Changing the date of my last collection from years to months. I want to settle this debt for it is the only outstanding debt on my report, but I am affaird that by trying to settle the debt the collection date will change from over 6 months to less then 1 month,the date account was settled. Can I cotact the OC and try for a PDF and if so how should I go about doing so. And if I cannot get a PDF will my attemps at settling this collection bring the collection date more current? Please advice, I am a novice to credit but trying my best to learn. Thanks for your help.
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How does a PDF work?

A Pay For Delete (PFD) is a letter that you use to get the OC to agree to delete any reference of the account in exchange for prompt payment.

Verizon Wireless are one of those companies that don't like to PFD. If they are the ones reporting on your CR, and not the CA, then they likely still own the debt.

The date didn't change any, only the update date. However, it won't fall off until about 2012. However, SOL resets with each payment. Attempting a PFD won't affect any dates.

I too have the same issue with Verizon Wireless. I don't recall any success stories here. I goofed big and let a balance get away with them and it went into CO status. This was in 2006 and I didn't pay attention to our credit until last August. I sent 3 PFD already with only 1 response. They looked at the letter and thought it was a DV letter and responded in writing that I cannot DV them. My last contact with them was in December responding to their letter with a new letter saying that I just wanted to pay and had faxed it to them with a copy of the other letters. Still no reponse. I send the PFD for 100% of the amount reporting to the CRs. I'm in round two of repair and they are going to see another letter.
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.