cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How easy is it to get your creditor to provide you with your FICO score when they do a hard inquiry?

tag
JJF
Contributor

How easy is it to get your creditor to provide you with your FICO score when they do a hard inquiry?

Years ago I invested in real estate.  I pushed the limits of primary residence and now looking back on it wished that the banks had not kept giving me mortgages.  I used to have great, near perfect credit.  I never opened new credit cards, paid everything on time, and had a low monthly debt to income ratio.

Anyway, I discovered that mortgage brokers would pull my 3 bureau credit report directly from their office.  I would always stop by their office with the completed mortgage application and all the supporting documentation they might later request for underwriting along with my check for the credit report and appraisal.   As I was tearing the check from the check book,  I would casually ask if I could get a copy of my credit report including the credit scores.  More than once I was told NO, and more than once I got up from my chair and headed to the door stating that last mortgage broker I used provided this courtesy.  I never left the office without my credit report and scores.

What recent success if any have you had getting your creditors to tell you your FICO scores when they pulled your credit report?  If a CCC tells you that in order to request a CLI, then you need to approve a hard pull, has anyone ever asked for their FICO score?

Just curious.  Thanks

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How easy is it to get your creditor to provide you with your FICO score when they do a hard inqu

It is my understanding that even though you give authorization for a loan officer/credit card company/car finance rep to pull your credit, they are under no obligation to share that information for you if they are the ones who pay for the score.

However, whenever I have applied for mortgages (both new and refinances), I have always gotten a letter with my FICO score from a credit reporting agency.  It would usually show up within 1-2 weeks after the inquiry was made. 

Message 2 of 9
JJF
Contributor

Re: How easy is it to get your creditor to provide you with your FICO score when they do a hard inqu

@Lel wrote:

It is my understanding that even though you give authorization for a loan officer/credit card company/car finance rep to pull your credit, they are under no obligation to share that information for you if they are the ones who pay for the score.

However, whenever I have applied for mortgages (both new and refinances), I have always gotten a letter with my FICO score from a credit reporting agency.  It would usually show up within 1-2 weeks after the inquiry was made. 

I don't think they are obligated to give it to you when you apply for a mortgage.  With as creative as this forum seems to be about the subtle tricks to credit management, I was wondering whether anyone has ever tried to get the CCC to tell you your FICO score on a recon,CLI or even a new application?

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've gotten my fico in writing after apping for mortgages also, and my mortgage officers have always told me what the scores were as soon as they pulled. Found it's been the same with auto lenders, but I've never gotten a credit card company to tell me my score. Even after asking nicely. Smiley Wink
Message 4 of 9
Donks3369
Established Contributor

I work for a bank and we have an agreement with Experian that we will not disclose the FICO score to the customer.  I didn't say it was a good agreement, but that is the way it works here.  I know from other people at companies that they work the same.  So it's all in the agreement they have and if you ask or not. 
Message 5 of 9
JJF
Contributor

Thanks for the replies.  I was considering asking for my FICO scores if/when I applied for credit cards or CLIs.   Flying low under the radar is a good thing in order to avoid AA.  I won't ask.  Thanks.
Message 6 of 9
ralbusta
Frequent Contributor

When I applied for a CLI through my CU, I asked for my score and who did they pull. I was told they pulled Experian and that my score was 691, same as my last score pulled through myFICO.

So for me it was easy.

Message 7 of 9
JJF
Contributor

@ralbusta wrote:

When I applied for a CLI through my CU, I asked for my score and who did they pull. I was told they pulled Experian and that my score was 691, same as my last score pulled through myFICO.

So for me it was easy.

Ralbusta,  very interesting.  I am planning on applying for a share secured loan thru the credit union.  I was told that it required a hard inquiry.  Since it was a credit union, I was planning on asking for my FICO score.  

I am trying to decide the best use of the hard inquiry,as in do I open a credit card thru the credit union using the same inquiry.  My plan was NO, because I did not want (another) new account. 

Question:  When a creditor tells you a CLI requires an inquiry, I have always assumed this was a hard inquiry, and stopped.  Has anyone ever gotten a CLI with only a soft inquiry?

Ralbusta, do you recall if your inquiry was hard or soft?

I ask because maybe getting a credit card thru the local credit union, then asking for a CLI every year or two might be a free and easy way to get your FICO score?

Thanks. 

Message Edited by JJF on 04-16-2009 08:22 AM
Message 8 of 9
ralbusta
Frequent Contributor

For me it was a hard inquiry and they also verified my household income. I had a 70 pt increase in my EX fico since i applied so I got a $1.5k increase and a APR reduction from 18.99% to 10.09%
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.