cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How easy would it be to commit identity theft in this situation?

tag
helaurin
New Contributor

How easy would it be to commit identity theft in this situation?

Long story, short version.   I will be adopting my estranged daughter's child.

I am concerned that either she, or her husband (who is not the child's father) might someday commit identity theft of my granddaughter.  They know the child's birthdate, address, SSN, etc.  She and her husband are awaiting trial for a variety of charges, including theft by extortion, amongst others. They have horrible credit (last time she was speaking with me, my daughter's credit was about 550).

I am being told that it is highly unlikely that Social Security will agree to change the child's SSN.  

I think my daughter and her husband have all the information they need if, or when, they might try to commit ID theft.  

I am looking for ways to try to prevent ID theft for my granddaughter.

Would changing her last name to something that my daughter wouldn't know or guess at, would that be enough to prevent them from using the child's SSN for ID theft?

Or, could I hyphenate the child's name when I adopt, to include both my last name and another last name that is personally significant, but that they wouldn't guess at - would that be enough to help prevent ID theft? 

I wil make up a couple of examples to help clarify and aid in discussion.  

Let's say the child's current info is something like this:  Hannah John Rogers., dob: 01-15-2006, born Harrisburg, PA, SSN 123456789, Address 123 South Main St, AnyCity, PA.    Let's say my last name for this example is Gilbert.

Would knowing the above be enough for someone to commit ID theft? 

If I can only change the last name, if it was changed from Rogers to Gilbert (pretending that's my last name), I'm concerned that either parent or step-parent might guess at it  to commit fraud.

Again, if I can only change the last name, but let's say I changed it to something like Graves-Gilbert, or Gilbert-Graves, would that be enough to help thwart them from commiting ID theft if they were so inclined?  

Or is it enough to know someone's birthdate, address and SSN, regardless of name, for them to commit ID theft? 

Starting Score: 2014 775
Current Score: 822
Goal Score: 840

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How easy would it be to commit identity theft in this situation?

Put a freeze on her credit where she can unlock when she's 18

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

And - depending on how old she is (confusion factor) .... you could change her name altogether....First last and middle.   You can file for a new birth certificate at the time of adoption and changer her name to anything you want.  

You can apply for a new soc sec number at the time of adoption listing you as her parent.   You may need to go to the soc. security office - and if she is over 12 she will need to go with you.    Take the new birth certificate and adoption decree.    Google "social security number for adopted child" and this PDF comes up.

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10023.pdf

it's all about social security numbers and kids.    You have to scroll through a few pages to get to the part you need though.......I think you would want to do this because I'm sure you will claim her as a dependent on your taxes as well.

Message 3 of 6
stellar
Established Contributor

I think changing this child's last name to something random will give her identity issues.  Last names are an important connection to our families and our heritage.  Also, it would be VERY EASY to find out the child's new random last name via internet search. 

I would focus on freezing her credit reports and possibly changing her social security number. 

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think Stellar is right.

Here is a different way of framing this question that may help.  Suppose that somebody found the social and birthdate and name of an adult you know -- what would you do or how might you advise them?  It's a relevant question because it's a scenario that is not only conceivable but one that may stand as high as a 50-50 chance of happening to any particular grownup.  There's been SO many hacks of major databases lately.  In the Chinese hack of the OPM database maybe 17 million govt workers had ALL of the following stolen: name, social, birthdate, drivers license number, and a lot more.

So my point is that this could happen to any of our kids, or our friends, even if they didn't have the unusual backstory that your adopted granddaughter will have.

Thus I like Stellar's focus on continuing to explore an SSN-change and on report freezing.  Regarding the former, these links may be helpful:

https://faq.ssa.gov/link/portal/34011/34019/Article/3789/Can-I-change-my-Social-Security-number

https://www.protectmyid.com/identity-theft-protection-resources/identity-recovery/getting-a-new-ssn....

Note the honest caveats about how a SSN change may be less helpful than one imagines it might be in the discussion found in the second link. 

As far as security freezes at the various CRAs, this strikes me as the best way to go.  I would first open a good checking and savings account in her name (before you freeze ChexSytems and LexisNexis).  And then be sure to do your research and freeze as many CRAs as seems prudent.  There's at least one other CRA that deals with checking accounts and a few that deal with telecom accounts (e.g. NCTUE) and then the four credit bureaus.

When she's a teenager, you may choose to selectively unfreeze for a few hours to open a few credit cards for her.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry I  missed Jlynn's links about the new SSn for an adopted child.  Sounds like a good thing, though credit freezes are also smart in her case.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.