cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How inquiry/new account sensitive really is Barclays?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How inquiry/new account sensitive really is Barclays?

I hear often that Barclays doesn't like new accounts but I'm wondering if they're likely to shut me off or CLD me. I just started rebuilding in January 2012. I only have so many accounts but they were all added in these last 21 months. My Barclays cards are the ones I use the most. I run almost all my expenses through them so it seems to me they wouldn't want to close me out. Both my Barclaycards were given 3000 dollar CLIs in August. It was the following month I opened my Chase freedom. In all I've opened 7 cards which averages one every 3 months. I'm not opening anymore for a while but I'm afraid Barclays might decrease my limit or cancel me.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Kirmie2010
Established Contributor

Re: How inquiry/new account sensitive really is Barclays?

Misread original post so my post made no sense, cant figure how to delete.

Message 2 of 4
slickshoes182
New Contributor

I think that adverse action is typically a result of several risk factors, not just 1. I experienced a CLD with Barclays, with the number of new inquires listed as a contributing factor. However, I think my total utilization across all credit cards was >50% at the time (mostly on balance transfer promotions), as well as on my Barclays card (it was on a balance transfer promotion too). I typically pay near the minimum when I take advantage of 0% APR balance transfers to maximize my benefit from the 0% APR, which is another risk factor (low % of outstanding balance paid).

If your total overall utilization across all credit cards is not high (e.g. less than 50%), your Barclays utilization is not high (e.g. below 50%), and you're paying in full or considerably more than the minimum payment, then I don't think  you would be at risk to adverse action. Even satisfying a few of those criteria will probably be enough to protect you. 

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay thanks for the reply. With the exception of my care credit card all my cards are at almost no utilization. I pay them right before my statement cuts. The only card I am over 50% utilization with is my care credit. I put some surgery on that and it is still showing a $3000 balance. I've made a $500 payment that doesn't show yet on the credit report so it will be at 50% in a couple days when Syncrony updates.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.