cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long can student loan lates show on closed acct? Theyre being reported from 5 yrs ago!!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How long can student loan lates show on closed acct? Theyre being reported from 5 yrs ago!!!!

Hello I have an old student loan acct that was paid by transfer back in 2003. On my transunion report it says in text that "maximum delinquency of 90+days occured in 5/2001" Then on the graphic boxes that run across that say OK OK OK and +30 +60 ect. it says last 20 months, I was 90 days late two times !!! How can this be possible if the loan was closed out in 2003? On closed student loan accts, how long can they report lates? I thought it was 2 years or is this only for credit cards? thanks in advance
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How long can student loan lates show on closed acct? Theyre being reported from 5 yrs ago!!!!

Delinquencies (30 – 180 days): Can remain seven years from the date of the initial missed payment.

I believe that lates just don't count as hard against you after 2 years. But they remain for 7 years.

aerospace10 wrote:
Hello I have an old student loan acct that was paid by transfer back in 2003. On my transunion report it says in text that "maximum delinquency of 90+days occured in 5/2001" Then on the graphic boxes that run across that say OK OK OK and +30 +60 ect. it says last 20 months, I was 90 days late two times !!! How can this be possible if the loan was closed out in 2003? On closed student loan accts, how long can they report lates? I thought it was 2 years or is this only for credit cards? thanks in advance

Message 2 of 5
modernsurrender
Established Contributor

Re: How long can student loan lates show on closed acct? Theyre being reported from 5 yrs ago!!!!

aerospace10 wrote:
it says last 20 months, I was 90 days late two times !!! How can this be possible if the loan was closed out in 2003?

Are you saying there are lates showing on the account from AFTER it was paid off?  As in you paid it in 03 and they're reporting late payments for some month in 07?  If that's the case I'd dispute those lates, sending in a copy of whatever you have to prove the acct was paid off in 03.

If that's not the case, then this post is just a figment of everyone's imaginiation.  *insert squiggly dream sequence blurring*
Start 2/2008: TU 495 || EX 539 || EQ 528
Now 5/2013: TU 716 || EX ??? || EQ 702

Slate: $5000 Simplicity: $5000 David's Bridal: $3500 SW Chase: $3000 FNBO: $3000 Barclay NFL: $2500 BofA: $2400 Discover IT: $1700 Walmart: $1500 Victoria's Secret: $1000 Cap1: $750 Amex Zync: NPSL
(2 derogs to go until I'm squeaky clean in 2014!)
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks sidewinder, thats good to know. It is showing my payment history lates on there during the years that I was really late. But I thought they couldnt report that past 2 years but I was wrong. What confused me is though theres a separate box in the far left that says late payment in last 26 months. This is very misleading because I thought these payments were late really for the past 26 months but it actually is talking about the past 26 months back in 2001. Wierd but I guess its all in how you look at it. Makes sense now.
Message 4 of 5
dragnldy
Regular Contributor

Once the account is closed, it will show the TL for the last two years it was open on the CRs just because the TL doesn't update and becomes a stagnant visual.
Ficos
3/7/08 TU-646 EQ-640 EX-650
3/17/09 TU-678 EQ 666
3/20/12 TU- 760 EQ 785
Util almost 0 and baddies all gone! now to gardening!
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.