Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long can this go on?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How long can this go on?

I paid off all my small credit cards in 1995 and purchased a house with my ex boyfriend.  The loan procesessor advised me to not put his name on the house because of his credit but I was afraid he would leave me if his name was not on the house.  My credit score was awsome.  I left Jan 1996, and did not check my credit till 1999.  I knew the mortgage payments were all kept up so I did not worry.  The home was sold and never a late payment.  I tried to buy a car in 1999 and was turned down.  About 10 credit cards ran up to around $3000 or more on my report.  I called each one and trusted a customer service rep who said they would take care of it...They even talked me into paying a couple to keep my credit score good.  Of course that was wrong advice so in 2000 I quit paying. 

In 2006, I lost my job and received summons for court and Legal Aid helped me and it was thrown out since of course they could not prove it was my signature and they did not pursue since I owned nothing but an old car.  Legal Aid said until I got another summons there was nothing more they could do to help me.  I did not want to file bancrupcy since it was simply not my credit.  There had been credit cards go to that house after I left and someone signed them and ran up credit.  All 3 in the house had police records so it could have been any or all of them.  I did not know what to do in 1999 and not educated with it like we are now about credit card theft.

There are still about 3 on my credit report making my score under 500...its been 7-8 yrs so how long can this go on?  I just don't know what else to do. 
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How long can this go on?

helpmefixit wrote:
I paid off all my small credit cards in 1995 and purchased a house with my ex boyfriend.  The loan procesessor advised me to not put his name on the house because of his credit but I was afraid he would leave me if his name was not on the house.  My credit score was awsome.  I left Jan 1996, and did not check my credit till 1999.  I knew the mortgage payments were all kept up so I did not worry.  The home was sold and never a late payment.  I tried to buy a car in 1999 and was turned down.  About 10 credit cards ran up to around $3000 or more on my report.  I called each one and trusted a customer service rep who said they would take care of it...They even talked me into paying a couple to keep my credit score good.  Of course that was wrong advice so in 2000 I quit paying. 

In 2006, I lost my job and received summons for court and Legal Aid helped me and it was thrown out since of course they could not prove it was my signature and they did not pursue since I owned nothing but an old car.  Legal Aid said until I got another summons there was nothing more they could do to help me.  I did not want to file bancrupcy since it was simply not my credit.  There had been credit cards go to that house after I left and someone signed them and ran up credit.  All 3 in the house had police records so it could have been any or all of them.  I did not know what to do in 1999 and not educated with it like we are now about credit card theft.

There are still about 3 on my credit report making my score under 500...its been 7-8 yrs so how long can this go on?  I just don't know what else to do. 

Welcome to these forums!

Did you ever file a police report?

You may also be past CRTP. If you are certain that all this happened in 1999 or 2000, these accounts should have popped off. You also need to check if you are past SOL (likely you are).

How are these listed on your CR?

For more info on the acronyms check out Credit Scoring 101.
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.