cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long did it take you to better your credit?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How long did it take you to better your credit?

Just curious.

Where did you start from?

How long did it take?

Where are you at now?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
DI
Super Contributor

Re: How long did it take you to better your credit?

In 2004 my scores bottomed out at 544. I remember that score so well.  Today my scores are in the upper 700's.
Message 2 of 11
donkort
Valued Contributor

Is your mortgage almost paid up--so that you own your house free and clear?  If so....wonderful and congratulations!
FICO 8: EQ 810; TU 816; EX 822 as of 7/5/2022
Message 3 of 11
DI
Super Contributor

@donkort wrote:
Is your mortgage almost paid up--so that you own your house free and clear?  If so....wonderful and congratulations!

I only been managing credit for 9 years.  I have no mortagage yet.  I'm still fairly young.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pulled my free annual reports from EQ/EX/TU on 11/28/08

Started repairing credit - 1/1/09     535 TU, no idea the other two but had to be lower

This month (after my lower util % hits my reports) - TU 700+, EX high 600's (estimate), EQ high 600's 

Message 5 of 11
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

I hit bottom in 1993 with a BK. I have no idea what my scores were then. It took many years to recover but I was ignorant of credit management most of that time. If I had found these forums waaaaaay back then I'd been educated much quicker. But I'm convinced anyone can rebuild if they are willing to work hard.

(myfico)
7/09 TU-742 EQ- 779
8/09 TU-765 EQ- 783
9/09 EX pulled by lender 802

CC interest free as of 8/09
Time can heal all wounds and a low FICO.
"Hello my name is Sandy and I'm a recovering crediholic".

Message 6 of 11
marty56
Super Contributor

Started DMP 2002.  Finished in 2007.  3 more years to go till my major derog falls off.  Total time will be 10 years.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 7 of 11
oneilldn
Contributor

It took me only 9 months.... anyone can do it.... it all depends how bad you want it, how hard you work at it, and never taking a "no" for an answer....
02/2009- EQ 502/TU 516/EX 499
11/2009- EQ 701/TU 709/EX 721(fako)
03/2011- EQ 719/TU 729/EX 733 (by lender)

'NEVER GIVE UP"
Message 8 of 11
FicoScore626
Frequent Contributor

I started during the Summer (July) of this year and have been hacking away ever since.

I have no idea what my FICO scores were earlier in the year but my Experian Plus score was 571 at the beginning of May 2009 and then at the end of that month it jumped to 628. I have NO idea what happed to cause such an increase because I had NO credit cards, no store cards and was contending with an annoying student loan. Smiley Very Happy

I applied and received First Premier's financial rape MasterCard in July 2009 and then in August and beyond I started acquiring some store cards. After a few small bumps in the road (lowered credit scores due to inquiries and brand new accounts), I'm finally back on track and have set sailed for the 700 club. Hopefully I'll be able to maintain a steady course and reach its port by February 2010.

Message Edited by FicoScore626 on 11-20-2009 04:08 PM
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I discovered my scores were in the high 500's in May 2006.  I started taking steps to rebuild a positive credit history that summer and my score rose to 620 in 6 months and stalled.  When I started paying things off, in 2007, my score rose to 680 in three months and stalled.  I bought a house in 2008.  I quit pulling my scores after my house closed, but I found out all my scores were in the 700's when I refinanced my mortgage this fall.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.