cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long does it take for the FICO score to climb up?

tag
babbeo
New Visitor

How long does it take for the FICO score to climb up?

My FICO score was in the upper 700 until a couple of months ago. At that time I found out that a collection account suddenly appeared on all my credit reports and my fico score dropped to 677, almost 100 points.  Too make the story short, two weeks ago this collecton account was removed from all my credit reports, it was an error.  My question is: all things being equal to the time in which my credit score was in the upper 700s, how long will it take before the FICO score climbs back up, now that the collection account has been removed?

Thanks
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How long does it take for the FICO score to climb up?

Welcome to the forums! Since this collection has been removed, I would expect you to get all of the points back unless there have been other changes on your reports. Once the collection was deleted, the score change was immediate.
Message 2 of 4
cobra19
Valued Contributor

My question is: all things being equal to the time in which my credit score was in the upper 700s, how long will it take before the FICO score climbs back up,

Thing is, all other things are not equal. Stuff happens in the time period between when your score was in the upper 700's and now. I have always thought (and I could be wrong, or partially wrong), that when you lose points - for any reason - forget about it. They're gone. Points you do get back at a future date is probably due to other stuff.
New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 3 of 4
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@cobra19 wrote:

Thing is, all other things are not equal. Stuff happens in the time period between when your score was in the upper 700's and now. I have always thought (and I could be wrong, or partially wrong), that when you lose points - for any reason - forget about it. They're gone. Points you do get back at a future date is probably due to other stuff.

I suppose it can seem that way sometimes, but every FICO score is a snapshot of your credit record at that very moment. *click* report with no collection = upper 700's *click* report with brand-new collection = 677 *click* credit report with no collection = should be pretty much what it was before, with, as you say, any other changes reflected as well.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.