cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long does it take to get a credit score

tag
samarth

How long does it take to get a credit score

I moved to US in March 2012. I have been trying get my credit score since then and upon a lot of research I found that this website (myFico.com) is the best source for that. So I registered and was told that I have to wait 13 months to get my first score. 13 months later when I tried again, I was told that it would take actually take 24 months of having a SSN for anybody to get a score.

Does anybody know whether this is true? Or did somebody face similar situattion? An info on this initial time period will be apprciated. Thanks.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: How long does it take to get a credit score

You have to have at least on account reporting to the credit bureaus for 6 months to generate a FICO score.

Message 2 of 13
pakman92
Established Contributor

You need a tradeline  (credit card, loan, mortgage, etc.) to be open for 6 months.  No credit score unless you have some credit established.  having a SSN will not give you a score.

My Starting Score: EQ: 691 (11/30/11) TU98: 726 (11/30/11)
My Current Score: EQ: 779 (04/22/13) TU08: 835 (06/03/13)
DW Starting Score: EQ: 742 (03/02/12) TU98: 748 (03/02/12)
DW Current Score: EQ: 784 (03/11/13) TU08: 775 (06/03/13)
Message 3 of 13
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Do you have any credit accounts reporting to your credit reports? If so, how old is the oldest?

ETA...dang I'm slow.

Message 4 of 13
myjourney
Super Contributor

@samarth wrote:

I moved to US in March 2012. I have been trying get my credit score since then and upon a lot of research I found that this website (myFico.com) is the best source for that. So I registered and was told that I have to wait 13 months to get my first score. 13 months later when I tried again, I was told that it would take actually take 24 months of having a SSN for anybody to get a score.

Does anybody know whether this is true? Or did somebody face similar situattion? An info on this initial time period will be apprciated. Thanks.

In order to build scores the CB must have someone reporting your payments car, home, loans, credit cards, secured cards etc 

until its reported to them on a regular basis they can't determine a score/risk of your credit worthiness

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 5 of 13
samarth

Thanks for the quick replies.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I have an auto loan and a credit card from May 2012 (for ~11 Months now). Should that not be enough.

Message 6 of 13
myjourney
Super Contributor

@samarth wrote:

Thanks for the quick replies.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I have an auto loan and a credit card from May 2012 (for ~11 Months now). Should that not be enough.

Have you pulled your reports to see who's reporting yet

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 7 of 13
samarth

Yes, I pulled a report couple of months back from TransUnion and both my credit card and auto loan are listed on it. I got the report through www.annualcreditreport.com and did not purchase the score so the score section says that. I also checked it on FreeCreditScore.com, which I think is run by Experain, and it showed a score of 711. But I think that is still not the actual FICO score, right?

Message 8 of 13
myjourney
Super Contributor

@samarth wrote:

Yes, I pulled a report couple of months back from TransUnion and both my credit card and auto loan are listed on it. I got the report through www.annualcreditreport.com and did not purchase the score so the score section says that. I also checked it on FreeCreditScore.com, which I think is run by Experain, and it showed a score of 711. But I think that is still not the actual FICO score, right?

Experian score is a FAKO 

you can get the other 2 scores here (real fico) scores

At this point i would think you have generated score now IMO when you registered here was that when you were told you had no scores?

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 9 of 13
samarth

How can I access it. The customer support of this website has told me(multiples times) that I can only get it after 24 months. Is there any other source? Thanks for the replies.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.