Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long for a negative to get removed

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How long for a negative to get removed

Hi All,

Earlier this year I got cajoled into apply for a Macy's credit card. I bought stuff and paid the paper bull statement on time as it arrived. 

My problem started when I applied for online payment and stopped the paper bills. Unfortunately, the card that appeared in  the online accoust was one that I had stopped using years ago and had forgotten about. 

Several months ago I bought something on the new card ($35 pair of jeans) and had mistakenly thought I had paid up, but in fact it wasn't. I checked my account online, it showwed "zero" because It was the wrong card.

Long story short, Macy's coustermer support finally called me, we sorted out the error, I paid the balance + 1 late fee charge (They waved the second charge). Now all three of my credit scores show a 'negative' bcause of this (I got docked 60+ points 760+ to 705). 

I'm buying a house right now and will need to lock in my mortagage in a month or two.

My question is. How long will the 'negative' remain there now that it is all paid up?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How long for a negative to get removed

The late payment will stay there for 7 years and decrease its derogatory impact as it ages. Perhaps a goodwill letter might work to have it removed if your history with Macy's has been good otherwise?

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I've been good with Macy's.  This thing was a screw up on both sides.

Who would the goodwill letter be for? Written by Macy's to the credit score companies?

Message 3 of 13
greent
Frequent Contributor

It stays for seven years.

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Spoke to Macy's credit bureau and after much explanation and arguing, they say they are not going to remove it. I explained that it was also partially their fault as well as mine, but to no avail.  Their credit card dept was nice enough to remove the two late fee charges, but I guess that doesn't help any.

Any other suggestions to minimize this impact? Or other avenues I should try? Getiing dinged for a $37 pair of jeans and now having to pay probably much more for my mortagage is ridiculous.

Message 5 of 13
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

You have an issue of improper billing.

You consented to online billing, and they did not properly bill on the correct account.

That is a billing related error on their part that is subject to dispute under the Fair Credir Billing Act (FCBA).

Resolution of a dispute under the FCBA is much more comprehensive than the FCRA dispute process, and would be my recommenation.

If resolved in your favor, then removal of the negative credit reporting would be a necessary result.

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG,

After looking at your reply, specifically;

"You consented to online billing, and they did not properly bill on the correct account."

and I realized that the line in my original post shpuld have been,

"stopped READING the paper bills"

I stopped opening them because the online accouct has a zero balance. They said since they did send the paper bills, they are in the clear dispite the error in the online account.

SOL?

Message 7 of 13
RonM21
Valued Contributor

It still may be worth looking into what Robert is saying, simply because you have that mortgage on the line, and this could make a difference.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

The problem is that it has been more than 60 days since the first "Late" billing. 

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

It doesn't matter how long ago it was.  You can get incorrect negative information (or correct negative information sometimes with GW) removed from your account at any time, often years after it happens.  I'd go down that avenue as suggested above... explain how you switched to online billing, the balance said zero so you didn't pay.  Make it out to be THEIR fault, not yours... but be nice about it.  Reference your stellar payment history otherwise and tell them had the online account reflected the correct amount you certainly would have paid. 

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.