cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long to paid tax liens stay on credit report?

tag
FN
Established Member

How long to paid tax liens stay on credit report?

I have one state tax lien that was filed in March 2012 and paid in January 2015.  I've read that it will stay on my credit reports for 7 years, but I'm wondering if that is from the file date (2012) or satisfaction date (2015)...any clues?  Thanks!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: How long to paid tax liens stay on credit report?

The legal answer is that tax liens can remain for up to 7 years from the date paid.

The exclusion period of 7 years does not begin until the debt is paid.

See FCRA 605(a)(3).

Two general procedures might be used to obtain removal prior to the statutory exclusion date of 7 years from date paid.

First is to obtain a formal vacature of the lien.  For federal tax liens, for example, the IRS has a procedure for withdrawal of their liens if paid in full.  One paid, a form is then submitted to the IRS requesting withdrawal.  If paid in full, the IRS will grant withdrawal.  Otherwise, they will only discharge the lien.

The CRAs will remove a withdrawn federal lien, but not a discharged lien.

The second basis for removal of a tax lien is if the CRA data obtained from the public record does not contain adequate identifying information.

The CRAs have agreed to remove tax liens that do not include the consumer's name, address, and a full SSN or date of birth.

That recent removal policy is set forth in their National Consumer Assistance Plan.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

i thought i read as of July 1st of this year, tax leins would not be showing on your credit report and if you have any ( paid or not ) , that you can dispute them and they can be removed.

Message 3 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The CRA review of reported public record information, including tax liens and judgments, will not result in the removal of all such reporting.

The review is to determine if the public record provides adequate indentification of the named consumer.  The standard being used is whether the public record provides the consumer's name, address, and at least a full social security number OR date of birth.

Message 4 of 7
FN
Established Member

It was a state (MA) tax lien and I inquired and they said in no uncertain terms that they do not do withdrawals.  So I guess I have to wait out the 7 years.  

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FN wrote:

It was a state (MA) tax lien and I inquired and they said in no uncertain terms that they do not do withdrawals.  So I guess I have to wait out the 7 years.  

@RobertEG wrote:

The second basis for removal of a tax lien is if the CRA data obtained from the public record does not contain adequate identifying information.

The CRAs have agreed to remove tax liens that do not include the consumer's name, address, and a full SSN or date of birth.

That recent removal policy is set forth in their National Consumer Assistance Plan.

Visit the rebuilding forum and look for MOV and Method of Verification

Read Robert's reply again and it should all become quite clear.

Then go to your local courthouse where it is recorded and get a copy of the document.

Read Robert's reply again and again while looking at the document in front of you.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have read all the information I can find regarding the most recent decisions made regarding removing federal tax liens and the requirements.  Does anyone know whether liens reported by Lexis-Nexis based on info from courthouses will be affected?

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.