cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long to wait to check credit score?

tag
xdhatcherx

How long to wait to check credit score?

Have been slowly working on rebuilding my credit and just applied for my first credit card since about 2011 (needed at least 1 to improve my scores). Originally got denied but called the reconsideration line and got the decision turned into an approval (yay!).  How long should I wait to re-check my credit scores to see if they've improved?

Starting Score: EQ-659 EX-631 TU-667
Current Score: EQ-679 EX-663 TU-694
Goal Score: 725+ For all 3 bureaus

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How long to wait to check credit score?

Wait until about a week or more after your first statment posts.   Or you can always do creditchecktotal (CCT) free trials for 1$.  Just remember to cancel. 

Message 2 of 7
xdhatcherx

Thank you!

Message 3 of 7
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Depending on your overall profile, it is possible the score may drop several points at first, due to the new credit and inquiries. But you would bounce back after a few months and start to see he benefits.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 4 of 7
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@xdhatcherx wrote:

How long should I wait to re-check my credit scores to see if they've improved?

It's not just about X time.  When do your accounts report?  What has changed with your accounts that you expect to get reported to improve your scores?  Don't just rely on the passage of time.  Keep the standard factors in mind when reviewing your reports.

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/whatsinyourscore.aspx

Message 5 of 7
xdhatcherx

Not sure what you're asking about when do my accounts report. In my case, I have a mortgage and two auto loans. A couple of collections that I need to get rid of (1 is inaccurate as it was paid with the original creditor and the 2nd one was disputed with the original creditor but they turned it over to a collections agency and now it's beyond the 4 year statute of limitations with California. The collections company has inappropriately tried to age the account).  Other than that, I currently have no revolving accounts except for this new one I just got approved for. What I want to see is how it's going to affect my scores (negatively or possitively) soon, as I'm in the middle of refinancing my mortgage and to get a better rate the lender suggested I get my score to 700. Myfico's credit simulator and CK both said to apply for a credit card to get my score up.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Use the free sites to find out whether your card has reported or not. Don't be shocked if your score gets worse due to the inquiry. In time the new account will make it better. Stay debt free and pay your bills, you are running a marathon and you are on the right path!
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.