cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many points will credit score increase monthly if you keep a clean report?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How many points will credit score increase monthly if you keep a clean report?

Just wanted to see if there's an average point range if one keeps a clean report monthly.  Meaning debt-to-credit ratio below 10%.  No negatives.  I know there's no clear answer.  But are we looking at 5 to 10 points, etc?  Thank you.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
vizon
Regular Contributor

Re: How many points will credit score increase monthly if you keep a clean report?

I'm going to offer advice from what I have learned, but I am in no means an expert. Basically, I think it all depends on the negatives, inquries, etc. I do not think ANYONE can put a result you will see without more information, and even then no one can accurately guess.

If you have a 30 days late, your score can drop significantly. The lower the score the lower the drop, the higher your score, the higher the drop. So basically, if you had a 30 or 60 days the more it ages, the better your score will advance. I have heard a score over 700 can drop near 80 points on a single thirty days late. But this is while still being deliquient and with no more history. As good history builds post 30 days deliquency, your score will continue to grow.

Obviously, this is just one side of things. If you have many inquries, that will bring it down a handful of points.

Say you had something inaccurate, such as a 90 days late, when you were only 60. Well, if that was corrected, again, you would have a significant jump.

Basically, you wont see huge flexuation unless you have big key deliquencies that disappear, or if you are deliquent even 30 days (although your score can rebound from these after several months).

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How many points will credit score increase monthly if you keep a clean report?

Hi Raiders!

There's no 'average point range' to speak of. Keeping a clean report and low utilization will not necessarily net you additional points in a given month either, over previous months. If you want a good guessitmate, over time, however, use the FICO Score Simulator if you've recently (w/in the last 30 days) purchased a report from here (myFICO).

Message 3 of 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Ditto. I've pulled our FICO scores monthly (DW and I) for years now and when we had baddies reporting and even when our CRs were perfectly clean, we'd sometimes go months without any score change at all. Outside of util changes, usually we'd see a score movement when AAoA changes, our oldest account overall, our oldest revolving, or our oldest installment hits a milestone, when a new account ages, or when there was a rebucketing tied back into that length of history.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.