tag
fredwhite55
New Visitor

How much can I expect my score to improve, I need to get it to a 700 at least

My current Fico scores:

ex: 624

eq: 670

tu: 625

I have one 30-day late payment that I had removed today.

My credit card debt was about 90% of available credit. I paid that down to 18% as of this last Friday.

Is it possible that my scores will be at least a 700?  I need this for a SBA loan I am working on.

Thank you for you time and help.

Fred

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: How much can I expect my score to improve, I need to get it to a 700 at least

Hi and welcome to the forums.

How old was the late payment? 30 days late generally stop affecting your score after 2 years but, with anything, YMMV.

Getting your utilization down that far should give you a decent boost.  Not sure about 700 though.

How soon do you need it to be at 700?

Message 2 of 8
fredwhite55
New Visitor

Re: How much can I expect my score to improve, I need to get it to a 700 at least

My 30 day late payment was July 2013.

I can also completely pay off all my credit cards to 0% utilization if that will help myself get to 700.

I need it asap, my SBA loan is on hold until I get a 700.

I will have to do a rapid rescore, correct?

Message 3 of 8
fredwhite55
New Visitor

Also, that 30 day late payment was the only negative mark I had on my CR. 

Message 4 of 8
user5387
Valued Contributor

I would suggest getting your utilization below 10%, and also being aware of per-card utilization issues mentioned in various threads on this forum.

As far as a score hit from a 30-day late, there are various web sites that discuss this.  Here is one example:

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/fico-mortgage-deliquency-score-damage-foreclosure-1270.p...

You can also try a Google search like this:

fico score hit late payment

Message 5 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

That recent of a late is affecting your score.  You should see a bump when it is removed.  Especially since it was your only negative.

I would not pay all of your CC to 0.  Let all but one report 0 and the last at 9% or below.

Yes, you would probably need to do a rapid rescore. 

ETA:  It would also depend on the scoring model used.  The newer version of FICO does not score as harshly for infrequent late payments.

Message 6 of 8
fredwhite55
New Visitor

Thank you for all the help.

Just to be clear: I have 3 CC and 2 of them are paid off, I should NOT pay the 3rd down to 0 but pay it down somewhere between 1-9%?

Thanks again,

Fred

Message 7 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Yes, pay the last one down to 9% or below.  Once it reports to the CRAs, pay if off before the due date to avoid interest.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.