cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much will my credit affect my car insurance?

tag
TheGeneralLee862
New Contributor

How much will my credit affect my car insurance?

I want to know because I had a lot of inquiries since september because I bought a new car, got 1 Credit card, walmart store card and a paypal smart connect account and was worried my car insurance will go up because of all of the inquiries which were about 12  but 4 were my car loan all in about 3 month span?

EQUI 659, TRANS 660, EXP 666 these are my Scores as of 9/19/2016!
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: How much will my credit affect my car insurance?

FICO produces and licenses a specialty scoring algorithm for the auto insurance market.

That score is not available to the general public, so hard to say what is not emphasized.  Yes, they use them to set terms of insurance.

You mention recent inquires made by creitors and insurors.

If the inquiries were made without your having initiated a request for credit or insurance, then their inquiry is regulated under FCRA 604(c).

They are limited to obtaining your name and address, and can get no account specific information.

FCRA 604(c) specficially bars consumer reporting agencies from showing such promotional inquires in any credit report they issue.

Thus, others will not see those inquiries, and they cannot be included in your scoring.

However, if after receiving a promotional inquiry, you then sumbit an application for credit, your app then becomes a consumer-initiated reqest for credit or insurance, permitting them to then pull your entire credit report.  That inquriy can be reported as either hard or soft, depending upon the practice of the creditor or insuror.

For the offers you bit on, they can show in your credit report obtained by others (i.e., a "hard pull")..  The others cannot.

If you apply and they pull your credit report and use any information in that report as basis for offering less than the most favorable tems, then the so-called "risk-based pricing" provisions of FCRA 615(h) place requiremnt on the creditor to provide a Notice of Rsk Based Pricing, giving the consumer certain information.

Message 2 of 7
blondy250
Established Contributor

Credit score is a much bigger component in your car insurance rate then many people realize.

credit score/ car insurance

Fico 8 12/9/17
Equifax 850, TransUnion 842 10/30/17 , Experian 842 12/11/17 . AAOA 12 years Oldest 20
No inquires since 2014
All credit reports frozen
Fico 8 Equifax Bankcard 866 12/27/16
Message 3 of 7
Transmogrifying_Bee
Frequent Contributor

@blondy250 wrote:

Credit score is a much bigger component in your car insurance rate then many people realize.

blondy250 - THANKS for the LINK to that useful article!

FICO Score 8: EQ 823 EX 817 TU 825 **** VantageScore 4.0: 825 **** VantageScore 3.0: EQ 823 EX 826 TU 825
TOTAL CL (6 cards): $141.0K **** INQUIRIES 2 yrs (1 yr): EQ 0(1) EX 0(0) TU 0(0) **** UTILIZ: 1 % **** GOAL: FICO Score 8: 840+
r>>
Amex BCE 30K || NASA FCU Rewards Visa 30K || Chase Sapphire Visa Signature 21.5K || PayPal Extras MC 20K
CITI Diamond Preferred MC 25.0K || Discover it 14.5K **** CLOSED 7 cards **** GARDENING since 9-26-2014
Message 4 of 7
TheGeneralLee862
New Contributor

I do think at least 4 or more of my inquiries will be falling off of my credit by my next renewal though because they were all in september or so. Hopefully that will help though.

Message 5 of 7
TheGeneralLee862
New Contributor

forgot to add thanks to all!

Message 6 of 7
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@blondy250 wrote:

Thanks for the article. I knew your credit had a big part of your insurance rates

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.