Did you mean: 

How often . . .

tag
azsassycat
Frequent Contributor

How often . . .

do you pull your credit reports?

FICO/FAKO scores?

I'm still new to this so I'm trying to get a feel for how often I should pull my reports/scores.  I was thinking monthly, but is that too often or not often enough?

Thanks!

Cathleen
10/22/07 (FICO) EQ 544 EX 520 TU 518
03/04/08 (FICO) EQ 606 EX 599 TU 601
04/24/08 (FICO) EQ 600 EX 580 TU 608
06/02/15 (FICO) EQ 578 EX 561 TU 589
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: How often . . .

@azsassycat wrote:
do you pull your credit reports?
FICO/FAKO scores?
I'm still new to this so I'm trying to get a feel for how often I should pull my reports/scores. I was thinking monthly, but is that too often or not often enough?
Thanks!
Cathleen

My usual two cents' worth:

What's your goal? Are you doing some initial learning about credit, getting familiar with the ins and outs, and generally keeping an eye on things? --maybe monthly for 3 months, and then quarterly or something, and then once a year.

Are you getting ready to ask for big credit, like a mortgage, or doing some serious repair work, or is something scary going on? Then maybe several times a week for 2 or 3 months, and then back off to the first schedule.

Or have you just discovered previously unknown obsessive-compulsive tendencies, and are getting caught up the score chase, and have sat at the laptop so long that you're starting to look like Jabba the Hutt? --then daily pulls are fun, until you get thrown out by TrueCredit.

I do 5-6 FAKO report pulls/ week (TrueCredit, ignore the scores), and pay for FICO scores when I can't resist the curiosity any more. I hope you are a bit healthier... For what it's worth, though, it has paid off on my scores and general credit health, and I am now at the point where all that's left to do is to send a couple of GW's and then wait for some lates to fall off.

Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 09-28-2007 03:08 PM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

i check my TC any time i get an update or a response to a letter I've sent (once a week or so). I'm trying to only pay for FICO's when i see several changes occur on my reports (once every 1-2 months). i'm just getting started though and i'm trying not to get kicked off of TC so the wait often kills me.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have TC and I pull my reports everynight!!!!!  I am not buying anything large so there is no need for me to get FICO scores. I have only 1 baddie which drops in Dec. I will buy FICO scores then.

Until then I can monitor my CR with TC but I do not use the FAKO scores.
I also have SW
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also pull TC daily(haven't been booted yet like other people). Then I pull myfico, all 3 reports, once a month. I pretty much ignore the FAKO's from TC and usually cant wait for the middle of the month to pull the real ones to see what the real scores are.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a Providian(now WaMu) cc, and they post the TU scores monthly, in line graph form on their website for you, once you register. Very useful to monitor during the months I dont go stark raving mad and respond to a bunch of ccc offers. lol! I usually pull at least 2 every 3 months. But pulling CR's at $14.95 or so, can really add up, so I try to moderate. Wish there was a way to get just the scores, w/o costing an arm and a leg for the full CR. There's gotta be a way...there's gotta be a way. I'll pull another report next week, as I did 3 inq's this week alone. *gulp* That's more than I did in all of 2006! Very curious to see how my scores will drop like a lead balloon. Oh well, thanks to this forum, I at least know what to expect, and that makes acceptance come easier. Thanks myFiCO!
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.