Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How's your Credit Union?

tag
MissExcellentCredit
Regular Contributor

How's your Credit Union?

Hey all.

There might already be a thread out there like this, and if so, please forgive the redudancy.

But what Credit Union are you a member of? How do you like it? Good terms? What's the APY like?

I'm a member of PenFed. I love it. They are fair and kind and reasonable. Just wondering if there are any others out there that are worth looking into.

Thanks for all the input!

Current 2013 Score: ScoreWatch Transunion: 737, ScoreWatch Equifax: 723, Nordstrom Equifax: 734
Goal Score for January 2014: 750-809 range

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How's your Credit Union?

There are other threads in here, but they usually slink into obscurity. Nothing wrong with starting a new one.

I'm also a member of Penfed, though I don't have any CCs. I have a share savings (obviously) and their Thrifty account (LOC for chking). I tried for a CC a couple of years ago, but was declined. I haven't bothered since. I'm also a member of NFCU and NASA. For NFCU, I have a checking, savings, Navcheck, and a CC. They were (well, are) awesome. DW also has a separate account with a CC only. Decent rate. Low fees. NASA FCU was opened because I wanted one of their CCs. That lust faded and have $100 in a savings collecting dust. There are CUs local to me that offer good deals and great rates. Sometimes the gems are local.

Message 2 of 9
amkari
New Contributor

I'm a member of 2...  Both pretty local to their areas.

Safe 1 Credit Union in Bakersfield, Ca.  No credit experience with them but have had checking and savings for about 20 yrs.  Awesome customer service and I love my courtesy pay option on my checking.  Although I now live in Montana I keep this account just for the courtesy pay and so my dad can transfer rent and loan payments from my account to his.

Great Falls Teacher's FCU just gave me my car loan last month so I'm pretty tickled with them.  lol  So far customer service has been great but only have the membership because of the loan.  They offered up front to reduce my interest rate around the 10/11 mo mark if my credit improved.  Haven't opened checking with them yet because I just don't need it.

On another note... had accounts at Russell County FCU when I first moved here.  I kept a minimum balance, cashed checks regularly for about a year, no NSFs, no negatives at all... all of a sudden they decide to start holding all checks for 10 days before releasing funds.  Customer service was snotty although when I inquired about a vehicle loan the loan rep was very nice.  At any rate, once they started holding checks they became no use to me and I closed them. 

Love, Love, Love my USAA accounts though even if they aren't a CU.  lol

Mar 2012: 03/31/2012 - FICO EX 599 (auto loan pull) EQ 593 TU 602)
Oct 2012: 10/25/2012 - EX (tenant screening) 655 - EQ (myfico.com) 641 - TU (myfico.com) 622
Aug 2020: FICO 8: EQ 690, TU 685, EX 688
700s or Bust!
Message 3 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If you live on the east coast, the largest CU outside of those associated with military qualification is Tower FCU.

I have been a member for several years, and they are super.

Membership is primarily tied to certain employers, NSA being the biggest, but they are also open if you are a member of any number of local civic associations.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU, Great terms love them, Visa Platinum Card w/zero transfer fee and zero apr on transfers for like 18 months!  When I first got it I used it to consolidate 3 cards and then paid it off in like 12 months didn't cost me a dime and I saved a lot of money!!

Message 5 of 9
MissExcellentCredit
Regular Contributor

Big Daddy (love the name by the way...)

Can anybody be a member of NFCU?

Current 2013 Score: ScoreWatch Transunion: 737, ScoreWatch Equifax: 723, Nordstrom Equifax: 734

Message 6 of 9
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

Unfortunately membership in NFCU is limited. You will effectively need an active service member / government employee / contractor affiliation to join or be a qualified relative or house mate of a current member. Their website has all the details on membership qualification.

On a side note Bigdaddy has an open invitation to any "hot chick" to move in and gain qualification as a member of his household. You won't find that on the website.Smiley Very Happy

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

"Love, Love, Love my USAA accounts though even if they aren't a CU.  lol"  

+1  they are a good one stop money place.   I think you have to be a member or past member of the military to join.

Or be a family member. I know it was pretty easy.  check out their website.

Message 8 of 9
MissExcellentCredit
Regular Contributor

HoldingOntoHope,

HA! Love it!  But that chick ain't me cause I'm already happily married.  SMILE

Im sure theres plenty of options for Big Daddy to choose from....

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.