cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How's your credit journey coming along?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How's your credit journey coming along?

@kdong1996 wrote:

I'd apply for the Amex same time as Freedom they like thin and clean files. What is your income and scores? The CSP has a 5k minimum SL. I'd apply for a cobranded card with some signup bonus if you're going to use it increase your other limits since Chase seems to be more lenient on high CL with cobranded cards.

my income is around 9.6k, it's on the low side since I'm still a student. as far as scores is concerned, I can tell you my CK vantage scores are 655 TU and 671 EQ, I know you guys don't like CK but since my credit file is so thin I don't see the need in paying for the fico YET. (I'll probably get it once I get the other cards to watch how my scores fluctuate over time.

Message 51 of 61
kdong1996
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdong1996 wrote:

I'd apply for the Amex same time as Freedom they like thin and clean files. What is your income and scores? The CSP has a 5k minimum SL. I'd apply for a cobranded card with some signup bonus if you're going to use it increase your other limits since Chase seems to be more lenient on high CL with cobranded cards.

my income is around 9.6k, it's on the low side since I'm still a student. as far as scores is concerned, I can tell you my CK vantage scores are 655 TU and 671 EQ, I know you guys don't like CK but since my credit file is so thin I don't see the need in paying for the fico YET. (I'll probably get it once I get the other cards to watch how my scores fluctuate over time.

I'm actually pretty fine with CK scores, it's free what do you expect? They give a decent idea of where you stand. Here's what you can do though. Once your lower balance reports on TU and EQ on CK, go get the 7 day trial from Experian for $1 (remember to cancel before 7 days). It'll give you a Fico8 score. Amex pulls EX 99% of the time and Chase usually pulls EX and some other bureau (YMMV though). I don't think you'd be able to get the CSP with 9.6k income though....

However I have asked Amex before that if you have reasonable access to other forms of income (allowance, joint bank accounts, etc) you could also put it on your application when you apply for Amex.

Message 52 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdong1996 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdong1996 wrote:

I'm actually pretty fine with CK scores, it's free what do you expect? They give a decent idea of where you stand. Here's what you can do though. Once your lower balance reports on TU and EQ on CK, go get the 7 day trial from Experian for $1 (remember to cancel before 7 days). It'll give you a Fico8 score. Amex pulls EX 99% of the time and Chase usually pulls EX and some other bureau (YMMV though). I don't think you'd be able to get the CSP with 9.6k income though....

However I have asked Amex before that if you have reasonable access to other forms of income (allowance, joint bank accounts, etc) you could also put it on your application when you apply for Amex.

that's some nice advice, thank you very much. citi may have only HPed TU as my EQ has no inqs. (hopefully it doesn't appear on EX either). I figured the CSP may be a bit out of reach at the moment.

Message 53 of 61
CarbonCard
Established Contributor

@twist7d7 wrote:

Nice work everyone!

Lets start in 2010

I was a junior in highschool and wanted a mac book. apped for apple financing and was declined

got my first debit card and loved using plastic over cash. NO MORE COINS!!! 

jump to 09/2013 

took a personal finance class teacher talked about the perks of having a credit card so the next week I apped for the discover it card. why the discover it? because my parents have had a discover forever and use it for everything they are pretty smart with there finances so  i figured they cant be wrong right??? Anyways got approved for $800! i was so excited. I used the heck out of that card basically SD my debit card from this point on and now that I think about it I dont think I have swiped my debit card since.

11/2013

Realized 800 was not enough CL so I tried to get it as close to 800 at the end of the month and PIF figuring they would see that I need more CL and they would grant it to me. long story short they didnt...

2/2014

Since discover would give me more credit I figured i shall find it on my own! I thought having an AMEX would be cool so i apped for the card that I thought fit me best the BCE. Got approved for 2k right away! Again I was super excited I thought this was a huge limit and I was doing everything right. (Joined myfico!) About a week past and I stumbled upon the myfico forms. Started reading about the BCE and other amex cards. Come to find out that a charge card was what I really wanted started research to see if i could PC to a charge card fand found out there was really no way this was happening. Did extensive research on cards and picked the PRG as my go to. apped and was approved no more then a week from the ther amex. (I think the PRG beat the BCE to my house) 

From this point on I dont really remember what month I got which card (in my sig) but I have apped for new cards just about every 6 months since then. Have had great sucess my theory is that if i get all of these accounts now they will age like fine wine and I will never have to worry about AAOA 5 years form now because my file will be so thick. 

Goal for 2015 to have 35k credit lines by the end of the year. Also get one card into the 5 digit CL range (im looking at you amex!!!!)

Regrets.... Non really because if i started reading these forms before I apped my amex cards i probably wouldnt have gone through with it for fear of declines

Long term Morgage at the best rates, 6 digit total CL and Centurion card!!!!!! 

Great job man! I wish I started my CC journey when I was your age! Smiley Happy

We pretty much have the same long term goals, and I say we can do this!

Starting Score: (1/15)TU: 690 EX: 690 EQ: 711
Current Score: (10/18) TU-8: 813 EX-8: 808 EQ: 797
Goal Score: (7/20) 800+ for all three bureaus

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 54 of 61
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

My own awkward fumbling towards credit ecstasy:

Start: October 2011, looking at unaffordable home prices and sitting at a Corner Bakery eating breakfast with a buddy who told me I needed to go build my credit

• 30/60 late on a closed BOFA secured card from 2010, card opened 2.5 years
  • open collection from late 2010
  • open collection on TU only from mid 2011
  • Cali State tax lien late 2010
  • IRS lien aka elephant / albatross / boat anchor early 2003

• Oct: Opened BOFA secured card October
  • Nov: Paid collections and Cali tax lien November
  • Dec: Orchard (now Cap 1) unsecured December
  • Dec: Picked up Cashcall installment loan
  • Dec: Obtained auto loan @19.35%
  • Dec: Found myFICO on 12/30/11 (adventure really starts here)
  • 12/30/11 EQ Beacon 5.0 (EQ 04) = 561

• Jan: Obtained USAA secured loan
  • Feb: Picked up DCU secured credit card 
  • Jul: Paid off Cashcall loan
  • Aug: Refinanced auto loan w/DCU @5.99% 
  • Sep: Amex Zynced!
  • 12/28/12 EQ Beacon 5.0 = 652

• Jan: obtained Amex BCP             
  • Jan: approved Chase Freedom
  • Jan: got Wally card
  • Jan: Snagged USAA CC
  • Nov: IRS lien fell off
  • 12/27/13 EQ Beacon 5.0 = 665

• Apr: Approved Fidelity Amex
  • May: Approved Sallie Mae
  • May: new USAA secured loan
  • May: Alliant secured loan
  • Sep: paid off auto loan
  • 12/26/14 EQ Beacon 5.0 = 683

2015:

• Feb: Managed to airstrike the only TU collection, wrong DOFD, thanks for playing!
  • Feb: still at 683 Beacon 5, 2.5 years AAOA

Denials: None other than an Amex ~3x CLI from 9k to 25k and a BOFA unsecured CLI attempt

Mistakes:

NOT FINDING THIS FORUM SOONER:

• Cash-based existence for the complete loss in the modern economy
  • Secured loan > Cashcall loan for FICO
  • PFD's would've been my friend 
  • CU membership is a good thing!

After finding this forum:

• Store card was unnecessary, Amex CLI's were more than enough to improve my limits.
  • Should've read Rebuilding more, could've gotten that TU collection off sooner
  • Probably should've tried more GW letters on the other collection but gave up

Goals:

• Get a mortgage, someday
  • Get clean, collection off mid 2016, BOFA lates excluded early 2017, Cali lien falls off 12/2017
  • Focus more on the business side of the house from a credit perspective
  • Be north of 740 EQ Beacon 5.0 on 1/1/2018 when clean
  • New Unicorn card: JCB Makurai

        
Message 55 of 61
twist7d7
Regular Contributor

@enxinas wrote:

@twist7d7 wrote:

Nice work everyone!

Lets start in 2010

I was a junior in highschool and wanted a mac book. apped for apple financing and was declined

got my first debit card and loved using plastic over cash. NO MORE COINS!!! 

jump to 09/2013 

took a personal finance class teacher talked about the perks of having a credit card so the next week I apped for the discover it card. why the discover it? because my parents have had a discover forever and use it for everything they are pretty smart with there finances so  i figured they cant be wrong right??? Anyways got approved for $800! i was so excited. I used the heck out of that card basically SD my debit card from this point on and now that I think about it I dont think I have swiped my debit card since.

11/2013

Realized 800 was not enough CL so I tried to get it as close to 800 at the end of the month and PIF figuring they would see that I need more CL and they would grant it to me. long story short they didnt...

2/2014

Since discover would give me more credit I figured i shall find it on my own! I thought having an AMEX would be cool so i apped for the card that I thought fit me best the BCE. Got approved for 2k right away! Again I was super excited I thought this was a huge limit and I was doing everything right. (Joined myfico!) About a week past and I stumbled upon the myfico forms. Started reading about the BCE and other amex cards. Come to find out that a charge card was what I really wanted started research to see if i could PC to a charge card fand found out there was really no way this was happening. Did extensive research on cards and picked the PRG as my go to. apped and was approved no more then a week from the ther amex. (I think the PRG beat the BCE to my house) 

From this point on I dont really remember what month I got which card (in my sig) but I have apped for new cards just about every 6 months since then. Have had great sucess my theory is that if i get all of these accounts now they will age like fine wine and I will never have to worry about AAOA 5 years form now because my file will be so thick. 

Goal for 2015 to have 35k credit lines by the end of the year. Also get one card into the 5 digit CL range (im looking at you amex!!!!)

Regrets.... Non really because if i started reading these forms before I apped my amex cards i probably wouldnt have gone through with it for fear of declines

Long term Morgage at the best rates, 6 digit total CL and Centurion card!!!!!! 

Great job man! I wish I started my CC journey when I was your age! Smiley Happy

We pretty much have the same long term goals, and I say we can do this!

Lets get that Centurion!!!!! I should also add that id like to join a credit union this year. 

AMEX PRG (NPSL) Lowes (10k) CSP (7.2k) AMEX BCE (6k) Cap1 QS (3.5k) Citi DC (2.6K) BofA (2.5K)M&T Bank visa (2k) Discover iT (1800) Slate (1k)
Future Cards Sallie Mae, US Bank Cash+, Freedom
Goal increase CLs by 20k in 2015
Message 56 of 61
Pway
Valued Contributor

My credit card journey is coming along quite well

Bankruptcy filed 6/23

Discharged 09/23

I have otained:

Credit Uion secured visa 300.00

Fingerhut 300-now 900

Verve MC 500

Capital One 500

Capital One 500

Express 250

Currently in the Garden.

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 57 of 61
CarbonCard
Established Contributor

@Revelate and twist: What are the benefits of joining a CU? I currently bank with Wells Fargo and Chase and I feel like I don't need a 3rd checking account/bank.

Message 58 of 61
twist7d7
Regular Contributor

@enxinas wrote:

@Revelate and twist: What are the benefits of joining a CU? I currently bank with Wells Fargo and Chase and I feel like I don't need a 3rd checking account/bank.

Im sure others will add but for me im looking further down the line at buying a new truck at some point and also a morgage. CU have great rates and will also give high CLs on card accounts. Joining one now will should them that I am a good risk to have. Also you only need to keep $5 in a checking account at most CUs so its not that big of a deal.

AMEX PRG (NPSL) Lowes (10k) CSP (7.2k) AMEX BCE (6k) Cap1 QS (3.5k) Citi DC (2.6K) BofA (2.5K)M&T Bank visa (2k) Discover iT (1800) Slate (1k)
Future Cards Sallie Mae, US Bank Cash+, Freedom
Goal increase CLs by 20k in 2015
Message 59 of 61
CarbonCard
Established Contributor

@twist7d7 wrote:

@enxinas wrote:

Im sure others will add but for me im looking further down the line at buying a new truck at some point and also a morgage. CU have great rates and will also give high CLs on card accounts. Joining one now will should them that I am a good risk to have. Also you only need to keep $5 in a checking account at most CUs so its not that big of a deal.

I'm looking into buying a unit (and a new car) in like 5 years time so I guess it makes sense to build a relationship with a CU.

Message 60 of 61
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.