cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How should I handle this VERIZON collection that was fraudently established in my name?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How should I handle this VERIZON collection that was fraudently established in my name?

I learned of this collection on my account about 2 months ago, somehow someone setup phone service in my name, the amount is only $250 dollars. I called the VERIZON about it, I guess wrong move, but they referred me to their fraud department and they are requesting that I send them proof of where I lived during that time frame.

Should the burden of proof be on them to investigate with the apartment complex that I did not live there during that time frame. I have currently gathered up old documentation of bills that shows where I live back in April of 2004 thru July of 2004. I am also considering filing a police report also since I never signed a lease at the apartment complex, although I filled out an application but later cancelled.

I hate to go and file a police report, should I do this? Is the right move to send them all my old bills showing where I lived during that time frame and a police report? By the way I have already sent them a certified debt validation letter and they responded and told me that *I* must show proof of where I lived before they will delete this from my credit report.

Thanks
ANEWME
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How should I handle this VERIZON collection that was fraudently established in my name?

You will need to show the proof. Filing a police report will only help you.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How should I handle this VERIZON collection that was fraudently established in my name?

Thanks!
Message 3 of 6
chartley3
Frequent Contributor

Yes file the police report and if you can show proof of residence from the past 36 months if possible. In the case of ID theft the burden of proof always lie with the victim however once you provide this info the OC usually removes the TL.
Message 4 of 6
ariesdreamer
Regular Contributor

How interesting is that! I received a letter from Palisades, a CA hired by Verizon, about a few months ago, to collect on on a unpaid bill for $366. It's not mine and I wasn't sure how to handle it and then I forgot about it until now. Funny thing is, I never received anything, such as a bill. I just thought it was interesting that someone else had the same issue as me...
02/17/2021: 654 (EX), 633 (EQ), 608 (TU)
12/8/2020: 668 (EX), 630 (EQ), 630 (TU)
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

One of the methods I have for dealing with Verizon (residential and wireless) is filing a complaint through their investor relations e-mail addresses. you can find it on their corporate site.  They will most likely refer you to someone in the president's office who is detailed towards solving customer problems.
I've done it with my residential and wireless bills. Often I get names and direct phone numbers of folks I can call when I have a problem in the future.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.