Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Stop Creditors Calling Wrong Phone#

tag
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How to Stop Creditors Calling Wrong Phone#

@FrannieMae wrote:

Is there a way to stop the creditor, that is, to get the creditors information and stop them from selling the bad information?  I just got a call and I had to change my last number because they kept selling the number to more and more collectors.  It didn't help that they didn't call back since the number was just sold on.  I still miss calls from my dentist, for instance, because the old number somehow resurrects itself int their records.  The people who extend credit knowing they won't get paid, can write it off and make money anyway then sell the bad debt should not be allowed to sell the debt.  It's bad enough we're paying taxes to support rich professionals who lower their tax bills by intentionally incurring bad debts but having to be harassed as a result is so wrong.  I'd like to know if there is a way to stop this harassment at its source. 

We're paying taxes to support poor people who add and incur extra debt too. Smiley Sad

I'm a business owner and do have some employees who incur and default on debt. I don't support their creditors in any way and have in our employment agreement that we will not acknowledge to any outside caller that our employees work for us, mainly due to privacy concerns. I don't want a collector to call over and over and over and over again like you're experiencing. 

I used to get upset but now I have fun with them. I keep a call log so I know who called and when at the moment the call comes in. I can tell right away whether or not I warned them to stop calling. The first time they call I'm firm and disavow any knowledge of that employee. They always hang up. About half the time they never call again. The other half that call, when they call a 2nd time, I tell them they called already and that I warned them to stop calling. I keep composure and reiterate that they need to stop calling and to take us off their list. Most do call back.

When they call a 3rd time, then I start to have a little bit of fun. They'll ask for Person X. Without acknowledging anything, I'll immediately ask for the caller's name and log that. They usually will give a first name only and I'll ask for their last name. Sometimes they give it and sometimes that'll say "I can't give that to you". I'll then ask them for their cell. They'll either say "I can't give that to you" or proceed to give their office number not fully understanding the question. If they give the office number, I'll say "So, I can call you back at this number at 11pm tonight and reach you, right?". They'll say that they aren't working then, and I'll clarify the question on the cell phone. They will always end up with "I can't give that to you." Then I'll sometimes ask for their boss' full name and their cell phone. They'll say they can't give that info out either. I'll conclude by saying, "so your name is private and your cell phone is private, right?". They'll reply in the affirmative. Continuing, "If your info and your boss' info is private then you can fully appreciate that we cannot supply any information about any employee who works here just like you wouldn't want your boss to give out your information. Take us off your list.". Most of them never call back and take me off their list. Now this doesn't apply to you, OP, I suppose.

If they call again a 4th time, then I do have some fun. I'll immediately ask for a boss and record the chain of command. I'll say, "3 times prior your employees gave me their word that they will remove my number off their list. With this latest call this tells me that your word is not your bond. You are not trustworthy. Is this a fair assessment on your character?" I'll wait for a response and they'll usually apologize. I'll say then, "the previous two reps apologized too and that didn't mean anything. Are you saying that you are different from those who you manage?" They always say "Yes". Then I'll say, "Good, remove me off your list and never call again." Without letting them say a word, I'll continue with, "...because if you do call again, it'll tell me a lot about you. Are you going to remove my number off your list?" They always say "yes".

It's very, very rare, but if the company calls again, then I'll immediately ask for that manager I spoke with before. I'll get very strong with him and remind him that the 5th call back told me that his word is not his bond and that he lied to me, or failed to follow through with what he said he will do. I make it personal with an even-keel voice. I don't raise it. If he says he'll remove it for good this time, then I'll trust him up to a point. I will call him back the next day, ask for him, and make sure he did what he said he was going to do.

Some don't remove numbers. It's rare for me. If they don't then I'll call them 3-4-5 times per day selling them whatever I want to sell them, like office supplies, soap, toothbrushes, ice, rain water, services my company offers, whatever. I'll ask for the same people I talked to before. Usually they tell me to stop calling. Then I'll launch into my script above and call 3 times for every time they promise to delete. I do sometimes take it too far, if nobody will talk to me I will say there's an emergency with a family member of theirs and that I needed to talk to them right away. Then I'll launch into whatever script to get them to stop calling.

Message 11 of 12
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: How to Stop Creditors Calling Wrong Phone#

Check out your state code for limitations on calls from existing creditors.

It is not regulated under the FCRA or FDCPA, but rather reserved for the individual states to regulate.

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.