cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to calculate interest saved on a loan for early payments?

tag
money_talks
Frequent Contributor

How to calculate interest saved on a loan for early payments?

Anyone know of a easy to use tool online or calculator for the following scenario on a loan: (just an example).

Principal balance: $1,200

Loan Term: 12 months

Payment per month: $100

APR: 10%

I want to know how much money I would save if I make payments early and compare to see if it's worth making those early payments. For example, how much interest would I save if when Month #4 payment is due, instead of making $100, I make a payment of $200. Then in month #5 payment, I make another regular payment of $100.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
user5387
Valued Contributor

Re: How to calculate interest saved on a loan for early payments?

I'd start by using one of the installment loan calculators you can find via a Google search.

Message 2 of 4
BigBS
Senior Contributor

I use Excel for things like that, but have not found an easy way.  Just start with what I know the payments and balances to be in 1 column/group of columns and then add the same for the options that I want to compare.  Takes some time, but helps me understand the impacts better.

Score: EQ(809) EX(819) TU(800)
INQs: EQ(7) EX(16) TU(8)
Last INQ: 13 Jul 23

Total Credit Limit - $2.0M

Message 3 of 4
user5387
Valued Contributor

This calculator has a feature where you can specify extra payments.

If you make extra payments, then something has to change in the overall loan -- either the term becomes shorter, or the monthly payments decrease, or the APR goes up.  Presumably only the first of these is of interest.

http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/mortgages/loan-calculator.aspx

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.