Frequent Contributor
jake619

How to calculate utilization

[ Edited ]

I can calculate utilization two different ways but don't know which way the CB's do it.

For example using easy math, I'd prefer to use AVG B.  But is this right?

CLBalUtil 
100090090.0% 
20001005.0% 
  47.5%◄--AVG A

CL SUMBal SUMUtil 
3000100033.3%◄--AVG B

GangnamFICO wrote:

Because the chicks dig it when I throw down the card to the waiter and...it comes in handy if I'm short on cash until payday and need a short spot. AMEX gets the booty, and that's important when you're a Pirate.

Minor vulgarity edit --Rev

Moderator Emeritus
llecs

Re: How to calculate utilization

It's B.

If you use A, then it's lopsided. Let's say you have a $0 balance on a $500 CL CC. Util is at 0%. And let's say you have a $4999 balance on a $5000 CL CC. Then util is at 99%. The average of 0% and 99% is 49% give or take. Your util can't be said to be 49%, it's at 91% in this exampe.

Frequent Contributor
jake619

Re: How to calculate utilization

llecs wrote:

It's B.

Thanks.  I like that calculation better anyway.

GangnamFICO wrote:

Because the chicks dig it when I throw down the card to the waiter and...it comes in handy if I'm short on cash until payday and need a short spot. AMEX gets the booty, and that's important when you're a Pirate.

Minor vulgarity edit --Rev

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+