Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to dispute debt

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to dispute debt

Here is the situation: I did ROTC at a University for 4 years and was medically discharged right before graduation due to health problems. 3 years later, DFAS (the debt collection and payroll agency for the military) is saying that I owe well over $100,000!!! I have contacted them once before to dispute it and never received anything back. In August/September I received an invoice for $3K+ per month. I contacted them and let them know I could not afford this and contacted the Education command with a more thorough dispute. I am still waiting on hearing back from them. I called DFAS and let them know I could only afford $100 per month and they sent me a promissory note to sign along with some forms requesting information about all of my bank accounts, IRAs, monthly bills etc. Since I do not believe I owe this debt and am in the middle of disputing it, what should I do legally? I don't want my credit report to be messed up due to this. I don't feel comfortable giving them all of my information. I also can't afford to pay them back that much money. I don't even know what type of attorney to hire for this. I'm afraid I am going to have to file for bankruptcy if this doesn't get solved!
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
missgamecock
Contributor

Re: How to dispute debt

My dh works for ROTC command and he says that if you took the money (scholarship, monthly stipend, etc) that you owe the money. He says a medical discharge does not relieve you of the debt. I am not saying that you did this, however, he says that there are many ROTC students that take the scholarship, stipend, etc and then magically in their senior year something happens and they can not complete their military obligation. He says that the military has cracked down on it and you won't be able to dispute it. Like I said, I am not saying it was intentional cause I don't know you. But dh says that there are too many cases of this and they just not are accepting it anymore and you would have a very hard time disputing it. Good Luck.
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to dispute debt

Thanks for the info. That really does suck b/c if I do owe the money, I would have really liked to at least finished my education.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.