Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get credit score 750-800

tag
FutureBillionaire
Established Contributor

Re: How to get credit score 750-800

@londonhogfan wrote:

I'm sorry, I mis-read your original post. Your limits / util are very good. I think you just need more age and like Ryan said.... A mortgage would help. I've read people say theirs went up 40 points after getting a home.

Why is it good to take on monumental debt, just to get a score high enough that lets you take on even more debt?  Doesn't anyone see a problem here?

Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
Plane tickets: CSP
Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward,
Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
Message 11 of 23
HiLine
Blogger

JRS123 wrote:

Amex Blu- 1500/15000

why my score is always between 700-720... I want to get 750.

I think I found your problem. Pay off the balance on this card and you should see a very nice bump! 

Message 12 of 23
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@FutureBillionaire wrote:

@londonhogfan wrote:

I'm sorry, I mis-read your original post. Your limits / util are very good. I think you just need more age and like Ryan said.... A mortgage would help. I've read people say theirs went up 40 points after getting a home.

Why is it good to take on monumental debt, just to get a score high enough that lets you take on even more debt?  Doesn't anyone see a problem here?

That shouldn't be the purpose, to get a high Fico score.  One takes on that sort of financial commitment as an investment.  If one is not ready for it, certainly one shouldn't do it.   If a person takes on a mortgage simply to increase their credit score...well, they've got bigger issues than can be resolved here !

Message 13 of 23
Roarmeister
Frequent Contributor

Lenders/creditors make decisions to lend based on more than just your credit score.  Having a mortgage, while it does improve your score, more importantly it implies that you are more stable financially and is probably just as important as your credit score when it comes to future credit seeking.

Starting Score: EQ 732 October 2007; Current Score: EQ 839; TU 865, July 2022;
Oldest Reporting EQ Account: 20.4 years; EQ AAoA: 9.9 years;
ACTUAL Oldest account 40.1 years; ACTUAL AAoA 19.3 years.

Message 14 of 23
jamie123
Valued Contributor

You are probably getting a few nicks on your score that you are just unaware of.

1. For every credit card more than 1 that reports a balance you get nicked a bit.

2. For every credit card that is less than 1 year old you are getting nicked a bit.

3. For every inquiry that is less than 1 year old you are getting nicked.

4. Your average age of accounts is on the low side. Once you get that over 5 years it will help to increase your scores.

How many of your credit cards are less than 1 year old?

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 15 of 23
JRS123
Established Member

My Bofa travel rewards and cap.one MasterCard are less than year old. I closed cap.one account bcoz of very low credit line and annual fee!
MyFico - TU- Hawk Alert Smiley Sad MyFico EFX 726.
Amex Blue cash 15K; Bofa Cash rewards 20K; Bofa Travelrewards 10K; 2/13 myFico 709
Target Score 760-800
Gardening since Jan'13 hopefully till Jan '14
Message 16 of 23
jamie123
Valued Contributor

BoA and Cap1 are notorious for inquiring with all 3 CRA before issuing new credit cars. You have 2 inquiries on each of your reports because of this. Having 2  inquiries on each report  might knock your scores down about 15 points but YMMV.

The new credit, and seeing that these 2 cards represent one-half of your reported credit are probably knocking your scores down quite a bit. Your scores should bump up when these cards turn 1 year old.

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 17 of 23
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

I would not recommend getting a mortgage to help your credit score. That seems like putting the horse before the cart. 

Message 18 of 23
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

Your 1 card that has 1500 on it out of 15k. That is only 10 percent util true but you will lose a few points just for the dollar amount of 1500 on one card. You lose a few for over 99 dollars, over 499 dollars etc. These are example threshholds which supposedly vary depending on which bucket you fall into.

Message 19 of 23
JRS123
Established Member

Me neither... I would take mortgage If I need to.

BTW I think previous author just suggested one of the conditions where credit score goes up and not as a way to raise credit score.

Thx

MyFico - TU- Hawk Alert Smiley Sad MyFico EFX 726.
Amex Blue cash 15K; Bofa Cash rewards 20K; Bofa Travelrewards 10K; 2/13 myFico 709
Target Score 760-800
Gardening since Jan'13 hopefully till Jan '14
Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.