cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get off of being an authorized user?

tag
mloupagu
Established Member

How to get off of being an authorized user?

I am listed as an authorized user on one of my ex-husband's credit cards. Just realized it when I got an alert that the credit card increased by 500, one of his charges. I don't know the credit card number but it is with Chase. I have asked him to take me off but he says he never has time. Can I call Chase with the partial number and tell them to take me off?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How to get off of being an authorized user?

Dispute as "not mine".
Message 2 of 5
mloupagu
Established Member

I am trying that. One site had this about credit cards discharged through a divorce decree: You have indicated that certain accounts are involved in a divorce decree and are the responsibility of another party. Please be aware that a divorce decree does not supersede the original contract with the creditor and does not release you from legal responsibility on any accounts. You must contact each creditor individually and seek their legal binding release of your obligation. Only after that release can your credit history be updated accordingly. If such accounts are still open and available for credit use, then it is prudent to urgently resolve those responsibilities. Once resolved, the creditors should properly update that on your Credit Report during their next reporting cycle to us. If the update has not yet occurred and you have documentation of the release from the creditor, you can provide that material to us via the mail (address listed on your credit report).
Message 3 of 5
jenkins
Frequent Contributor

I am having this same problem, but the account is closed.

Message Edited by jenkins on 06-22-2007 11:50 AM

Starting Score: 643
Current Score: 657
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's not really relevant to your situation; your case is a lot easier than that. That's for joint accountholders; as an authorized user, you aren't responsible under the original contract. So disputing should be pretty easy. Transunion usually gives the full account number. Or do you know where the card is? How about just writing up a letter, and giving it to your husband to sign?
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.