Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get out of credit card debt

tag
donkort
Valued Contributor

How to get out of credit card debt

Hi Everyone,

I've been the recipient of great advice from everyone here--and I thank you all.

Here is my situation:

I'm in credit card debt to the amount of around $20,000.  I'm going to bring that down to around $15,000 within a month.  Is there any way I could obtain a personal loan for, say, $10,000 more, thereby bringing the debt down to $5,000, without it affecting my FICO score too much?  It is now:  TU - 681; EQ - 689 (both via MyFico).  My EX "plus score" is 681.

Thanks for any responses.

FICO 8: EQ 810; TU 816; EX 822 as of 7/5/2022
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How to get out of credit card debt

@donkort wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I've been the recipient of great advice from everyone here--and I thank you all.

Here is my situation:

I'm in credit card debt to the amount of around $20,000.  I'm going to bring that down to around $15,000 within a month.  Is there any way I could obtain a personal loan for, say, $10,000 more, thereby bringing the debt down to $5,000, without it affecting my FICO score too much?  It is now:  TU - 681; EQ - 689 (both via MyFico).  My EX "plus score" is 681.

Thanks for any responses.

If you haven't had any new applications lately then one inquiry and one new loan shouldn't affect you too badly. But I don't know what else you might have on your reports.

You also need to compare the rates on the cards vs. possible rates on a personal loan.

Just my 2 cents.

Message 2 of 4
donkort
Valued Contributor

I recently closed on a co-op - mortgage was $95,000.  It hasn't reported yet.  I had quite a few recent inquiries resulting from the mortgage process, plus two credit card applications (1 approved, one rejected).  I'm thinking of going through the Municipal Credit Union.

FICO 8: EQ 810; TU 816; EX 822 as of 7/5/2022
Message 3 of 4
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@donkort wrote:

I recently closed on a co-op - mortgage was $95,000.  It hasn't reported yet.  I had quite a few recent inquiries resulting from the mortgage process, plus two credit card applications (1 approved, one rejected).  I'm thinking of going through the Municipal Credit Union.

Talk to the credit union, ask rates, etc. The effect on your score would be for an inquiry, for having a new account, and for lowering your AAoA.

If you can reduce your interest rate and not run the cards back up, it could be a good move for you.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.