Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to handle an "account not mine" situation

tag
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

How to handle an "account not mine" situation

While people seemingly flock to the CRAs for disputes, a should-be member of the Mod Squad says that "The FCRA dispute processes are not really the way to handle an "account not mine" situation.” He recommends going directly to the lender.

But what if the whole thing started at the lender? What if your AU card status changed to closed, although the owner of the account first requested that you be taken off?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: How to handle an "account not mine" situation

I'm no expert on this so do your own due diligence.  As RobertEG states the approach suggested requires that "The consumer need only put their assertion that they did not authorize the account into the form of a sworn police report, which carries penalties for any knowingly false statements you might make."  If you did authorize the account holder to add you as an AU then that does not apply.

Message 2 of 6
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

It depends really on how the account is "not mine".  Is it an AU?  Is it identity theft?  Is it just the wrong person's information on your CR?  I agree with RobertEGs suggestion that using the automated dispute system is not the way to go.  

If it is an AU, it should be a simple remedy to remove.  First, I would contact the lender and ask that you be removed from the account.  There shouldn't be a problem.  I think Amex is the only one that does hold the individual AU card holder responsible for debts occurred on  "their" card.

If it is another person's info that's showing on your CR, say you're a JR, they're a SR, or you have similar names and it's shown on your account.  You can do a direct dispute to the CRAs and provide proof.  They must answer the direct dispute, unlike the eOscar watered down version of verifying.

If it is identity theft, fill out a police report, fax it and a filled out fraud affadavit to the CRAs, they have 5 days which to remove.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 3 of 6
Florida1990
Frequent Contributor

It really is a pain I am dealing with that same situation and I can not get the items removed off my credit report. I even put an alert on my file thinking this would help but this has only caused me additional headache. xkeep fighting to get it removed

Pre-CH7 Scores- TU 584 EX 540 EQ 581
Post-CH7 Scores- TU 656 EX 630 EQ 670

Navy Fed Cash Rewards-$4,500, Credit One MC $500, Credit One VS $700 Ollo Platinum MC $900, Avant MC $1,000 Primor Secured Vs. $200, Wayfair $750, Eddie, Jcrew, Boscov $250-$300.
Message 4 of 6
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

If you did authorize the account holder to add you as an AU then that does not apply.

Correct. It doesn't apply.

@Shogun wrote:

If it is an AU, it should be a simple remedy to remove.  First, I would contact the lender and ask that you be removed from the account.

But, as noted, I did already ask the lender for the AU to be removed before having the card closed.

I suppose there's a chance that a second call to the lender may yield a different result, given that customer service individuals too are humans.

Message 5 of 6
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous-own-fico wrote:

@takeshi74 wrote:

If you did authorize the account holder to add you as an AU then that does not apply.

Correct. It doesn't apply.

@Shogun wrote:

If it is an AU, it should be a simple remedy to remove.  First, I would contact the lender and ask that you be removed from the account.

But, as noted, I did already ask the lender for the AU to be removed before having the card closed.

I suppose there's a chance that a second call to the lender may yield a different result, given that customer service individuals too are humans.

Did they tell you that they wouldn't remove you?  I've not heard of anyone that has had that problem.  If so, then I would send a direct dispute to the CRA and cite that you are not responsible for this debt.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.