Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to negotiate with Chase RE lower APR or making pay arrangements

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to negotiate with Chase RE lower APR or making pay arrangements

I would like some advice from anyone out there who has discovered any creative ways of negotiating with Chase RE either lowering APR or making short term lower pay arrangements. I work in the jewelery and precious gemstone business in a retail store in South Texas. Due to the downturn in our economy over the last two years my income has dropped about 25-30% monthly. Which has meant that I am now squeaking to make all my monthly payments each month. Unfortunately, I have had to dip into my 401K several times over the last two years just to make up for the gaps in income. Last month, I called Chase from a "backdoor number" someone posted on this forum. I spoke with an agent who I felt at the time was very open and supportive. I told him that my income had lessened over the last year due to the economy and that we were also having difficulties with our business due to the recent hurricanes in So. Texas. I also told him that I had to get some repairs done to my car in case we had to evacuate our area due to the storms. I asked him if they could work with me on my situation and allow me even just a 2-3 month break on any level. At that time he said, yes, he could arrange for a lower APR and would lessen my monthly by about $50 for September. With that in my mind, I proceeded to pay the adjusted amount he told me to pay on the phone at that time. A week ago, I recieved a letter from Chase saying that they had taken a deeper look at my request and determined that at this time they could not authorize those changes. Then, when I recieved October's bill the other day, I discovered that not only had my monthly due gone up, but they were now charging me a late fee as well as a past due fee for the amount of difference the other agent told me he could adjust. By dong this, it has now pushed me finally over my credit limit which is 6500. This was their doing, not from any purchases I had made. My question is: Is there some way that I can gain some leverage with them about the other agent's promise to make adjustments on my account? Or, can someone suggest perhaps another approach? I told the agent originally, that by Dec. 31 our earnings go up dramatically and I should be able to start paying more on my cc again. I just needed a couple of months to catch up. Ironically, both HSBC and BOA gave me a "payment holiday" for September. And miraculously, HSBC was able to lower my APR to under 12%. So, now I am seeing that Chase seems to be a harder player in the field. Thanks for any ideas or input. Janak
Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.