cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to prepare myself to speedup credit score being w.o. SSN and outside of USA?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to prepare myself to speedup credit score being w.o. SSN and outside of USA?

Hello, everyone,
I'm planning to immigrate to USA at 2018 year from Russia since I'm DV lottery immigration program winner.

I'd like to prepare for a good credit history. I don't have SSN and I understand that without SSN having a history at bureaus is not possible at all.
And I also understand that my credit history in Russia will not be transfeed anyway.
But I think where is still something I can do to speedup my credit score, once I'm in US.

There was also a trip with AmEx backdate, but that trick is reported to be fixed couple years ago.
So the main idea is to find financial institute (bank or payment system), get a credit card and start bulding history whithin that instutite.

And my strategy right now is:
1. get an AmeX card, biuld a good history with AmEx
2. upon my arrival in USA I will open a credit AmEx card (not a secured card), since I have a good record, there is a big chance os success.

So my questions are
1. Am I thinking the right way?
2. Maybe someone have another ideas how to prepare myself for credit score speedup?
3. Maybe someone can advice financail institution and workaround in that institution to reach my goal?

Thank you

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to prepare myself to speedup credit score being w.o. SSN and outside of USA?

That seems very well thought out to me.  Perhaps other folks more knowledgeable will tell you what they think.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to prepare myself to speedup credit score being w.o. SSN and outside of USA?

Can anyone tell,

having credit card my credit score is growing faster rather than with secured card?

Message 3 of 6
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Can anyone tell,

having credit card my credit score is growing faster rather than with secured card?

No, FICO doesn't differentiate.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Can anyone tell,

SouthJ is right, of course.  And just as side note, the distinction you are looking for is between secured and unsecured cards -- not between credit cards and secured cards.

In other words, a secured VISA is just as much a credit card as an unsecured VISA.  They are both credit cards.  It's just that one requires a deposit and the other does not.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you.

Is it possible to get some benefits, like unsecured card referring to my credit history in Russia?

What banks can do that? CitiBank?

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.