Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to proceed with a PFD letter after debt has been verified

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to proceed with a PFD letter after debt has been verified

I did a debt validation letter for my mother a couple of weeks ago for a $90. medical collection account.  The company (AL PAT) verified the debt today.  I want to know how to proceed with the PFD letter.  Should I just do the PFD and pay the $90. or should I try to negotiate the balance (the debt is from 10/2004)?  If I should try negotiation, what approach should I take? 
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to proceed with a PFD letter after debt has been verified

MsRN2000 wrote:
I did a debt validation letter for my mother a couple of weeks ago for a $90. medical collection account.  The company (AL PAT) verified the debt today.  I want to know how to proceed with the PFD letter.  Should I just do the PFD and pay the $90. or should I try to negotiate the balance (the debt is from 10/2004)?  If I should try negotiation, what approach should I take? 

What is your SOL.........is this a hospital bill or other medical.......most hospital have no SOL.

If not past SOL  you might want to PIF for PFD.  I know that some will take 40-50%  but not all.

A lot has to do with what you can afford.
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not sure.  I don't have it with me right now but the date of service was in 10 / 2004 so I'd think that we're still within the SOL.  It's some other type of medical bill.  The total cost of the bill is $90.00.  So, you think I should just let her know to PIF for PFD since it's not that much?
Message 3 of 9
MeganML84
Frequent Contributor

I would just offer to pay the whole thing. They might be more willing to delete if you pay in full. And you're right, it *is* only $90.....
Wisdom doesn't automatically come with old age. Nothing does - except wrinkles. It's true, some wines improve with age... but only if the grapes were good in the first place.
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

MeganML84 wrote:
I would just offer to pay the whole thing. They might be more willing to delete if you pay in full. And you're right, it *is* only $90.....

Yes, I think that's what I'll advise her to do.

Thanks,
MsRN2000
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

MsRN2000 wrote:
I'm not sure.  I don't have it with me right now but the date of service was in 10 / 2004 so I'd think that we're still within the SOL.  It's some other type of medical bill.  The total cost of the bill is $90.00.  So, you think I should just let her know to PIF for PFD since it's not that much?

Make sure that she first  sends a PFD letter....they must accept it  before PIF

I would first DV them  but you do not have to.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

HappyDays wrote:

Make sure that she first  sends a PFD letter....they must accept it  before PIF

I would first DV them  but you do not have to.

Yes, I will definitely get that done first (PFD).  An initial letter was sent to them and they sent paperwork verifying the visit.  My only question was ... why didn't her insurance cover the charges?  I have no idea but I think the easiest thing would be to do the PFD letter and after receiving that back, send the $90. 
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would first contact her Ins. company. Maybe they did pay or mayby Dr. didn't file!
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, you're right... it's worth a try.  I figured by the time we went through all of that (isolating the date of service with the insurance and having them check and go back through the records & that kind of stuff) that it would be easier to just pay the $90.  but going through the ins. may be better b/c with paying, she'll still have to go through getting the collection off of her account. - We'll try the insurance first. 

Thanks HappyDays Smiley Happy
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.