Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to proceed with closed/paid accounts

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to proceed with closed/paid accounts

So I just got off the phone with Ex&Eq to resolve the issue of finding out the creditors for the issue I brought up in this thread....

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=generalcredit&thread.id=35920

I had no problem getting the contact info for the CA on it. Now I need to take the appropriate steps to try and get it deleted from my account. Here is the info I show from Ex&Eq...

Ex...
Acct #: 851255****
Condition: Closed (Paid)
Balance: (blank)
Type: Unknown - credit extension, review, or collection
Pay Status: Collection/Chargeoff

Eq...
Acct #: 851255****
Condition: Derogatory
Balance: $0
Type: Medical debt
Pay Status: Late 120 Days

The lady from the CRA told me the OC was Emerge, which I believe is a MasterCard company and not a medical company. I told her I had no idea of the debt and she wanted to transfer me to the fraud department, even though I didn't want to claim fraud, I just wanted to know about the debt. I ended up saying goodbye to her.

So what is the best way for me to proceed with this issue? Do I send a DV, GW, PFD or a dispute with the CRAs? I would like to know the best way to get it off my credit reports.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
illcrew3
Regular Contributor

Re: How to proceed with closed/paid accounts

I would DV the unpaid account right away. As for the paid account I would contact the OC and ask them for a letter saying that the account was not yours. I did that with a paid collection from Sprint and they said the letter is in the mail. GOOD LUCK!
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

If the account was mine, what will happen? I know its not a medical bill because Emerge is a type of MasterCard - but it could've very well been my debt. I had a handful of cards back in the day and don't remember which is which or who was who.

Would a GW be better since it shows paid and balance $0?

Does this mean I've paid the account in the past and it might be best just to send a GW?
Message 3 of 4
illcrew3
Regular Contributor

Even if the unpaid account is yours they have to prove it. If they can not provide proof in 30 days the HAVE to delete.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.