Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove item past sol from CR

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to remove item past sol from CR

My Experian CR has one bad item from NCO Financial.  It is paid, closed and was opened on 4/2006.  Since this is past the SOL how can I get it removed? I contacted Experian  to remove it, when I just recieved their CR.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

Re: How to remove item past sol from CR

The statute of limitations is simply the legal time frame in which a creditor can pursue remedy from the courts (such as a judgment) in order to collect on a debt. It varies according to state laws and the type of debt involved. It has nothing to do with the length of time that information may appear on the credit reports. This is regulated by Federal law and is the same across all 50 states. Neither does the status of paid or unpaid have any effect except in the case of state or federal tax liens and the time they are allowed to remain. In general terms a collection account may remain on your credit report for 7.5 years from the date the original account went delinquent and was never recovered. The date of assignment to NCO does not provide a date you can factor anything from.

You will either need to go back through your records on the original debt and prove the date of first delinquency or you can pull your reports directly from the credit bureaus and they will show you either the date of first delinquency or the date that credit reporting will end. The statement will read along the lines of "This account is scheduled to report until XX/XXXX (being the month and year it will fall off.

If you believe the dates on the credit report are wrong it will be on you to provide proof as the original creditor in a dispute will most likely respond with their reporting is accurate. With the assignment to NCO in 4/2006 I would bet that this account does not have more than a year until it dies of old age anyway but you will want to check your reports to be sure. NCO is normally the second or third collection agency to pick up the account after the original creditor has abandoned all hope of collecting.

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is listed on my Experian CR, it does not even show on my other two CR. This NCO closed account was for $25 to a hospital. It says last reported May 2009, why would NCO bother to keep reporting it since they have receieved all of the money that they will get, since it was paid in full in 2006. There is no mention of how long it is scheduled to report, or when the first delinquency was.  I sent a certified letter to Experian asking them to remove it.  This one thing on one CR will lower my FICO wont it?

Thanks for the information.

Message 3 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

+1

The only issue in the exclusion of a collection from your credit report is the accuracy of the DOFD that was reported to the CRA.

The CRAs are required under FCRA 605(c) to monitor that reported date, and exclude the collection after DOFD + 180 days + 7 years.

Make sure the correct DOFD is reported.  Other than that, only their voluntary deletion will result in earlier removal.

Message 4 of 7
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Best course of action is to GW them.  Don't give up if the first one is denied.  Keep GWing them.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Who do I GW? Experian?, NCO? or the original hospital in Hawaii who turned me in to collections after not even sending me a bill, they seem to hate mainlanders and they have no goodwill to anyone except native Hawaiians.

Message 6 of 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Who do I GW? Experian?, NCO? or the original hospital in Hawaii who turned me in to collections after not even sending me a bill, they seem to hate mainlanders and they have no goodwill to anyone except native Hawaiians.

I'd suggest reading the following:

Common Abbreviations

Credit Scoring 101 - great for knowing what is in your credit score and to see how your score is impacted.

What Steps Do I Take - great for learning the repair process.

and Example letters - PFDs, GWs, DVs, etc.

GWs always go to the one that is reporting, which is NCO in your example. Ask them if they wouldn't mind deleting.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.