Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to update name with 3B on reports?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to update name with 3B on reports?

What is the best (fastest, most effective) way to update your name with the 3B?  Over a month ago I sent documentation to each of the 3B with my birth certificate and SS card showing them the way my name should be represented and it has not been changed on any of my credit reports.  I figure at this point that it simply isn't going to get done or it would have already.  Is there a way online that can possibly accomplish this quicker?  Do I need to "dispute" it?  I don't really want to add "disputes" to my reports if I don't have to but I'm not sure what options I have at this point.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to update name with 3B on reports?

Someone in another active thread said that they were able to update their name with EX and TU with a simple phone call.  I've spoken on the phone to both EX and TU about a month ago and both said (along with EQ) that I needed to mail them in documentation.  I'm not sure how this other member on here was able to get a name change done just verbally with no documentation, but I'm not having any luck.  Aside from phone or snail mail, does anyone have any other means of contacting the bureaus?  Do any of them use email?

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello BBS!  Always interesting to read your posts.

Something that would help me understand better is if I had an example of how the name section of your report looks now (the Before shot) vs. how you hope you will get to read (the After shot).

No need to provide screen shots of course and it's fine for you to change the actual names in your example. 

Also helpful would be to understand any relevant history behind this.  For example, has your name undergone a legal change in the last several years?  Has their been a name change due to marriage or divorce?

One difficulty may be the following.  It's possible that the CRA in practice just uses whatever names your creditors are using for you.  Thus, even if you get it changed at the CRA level by Feb 2017, you might find all the old names beginning to reappear bit by bit after April -- unless you have made sure previously that each creditor is spelling your name exactly as you want it to be spelled, etc.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey there CGID, thanks for the reply.

My name hasn't ever changed, it's just that it has an uncommon suffix, "V" which never seems to get represented correctly.  I don't have a middle name, so more often than not my suffix somehow winds up being entered in as a middle initial for some reason.  I've changed this will all of my creditors, vendors I pay bills to, etc.  My name is either represented one of two ways, both incorrect.  One, FIRSTNAME V LASTNAME or two, FIRSTNAME LASTNAMEV.  This has created problems for me in multiple ways.  Two of my creditors (Capital One and Amex) were unable to access my credit information.  My Amex account until just a few days ago at 6 months old never reported to Experian.  The only way Amex could get it to work was to remove my suffix completely, so they now report it just with my FIRSTNAME LASTNAME. 

I'm just trying to get these other variations removed from my credit reports.  I understand the presence of my name w/o the suffix at all, but that should be the only way it's represented aside from the legal form which contains the suffix.  I'm just tired of the headaches associated with my name and suffix.

I'm thankful every day that I didn't make my son the VI Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

If your first name is Henry then you have a most excellently cool speech you can give once a year on St. Crispin's Day.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

No sir, it is not 😉
Message 6 of 9
Credit_hawk
Established Contributor

I assume it's an issue confusing you with your father, Brutal Body Shots Sr? Or your son, Kidney Shots III?

Anyway, I had to fix mine because they had my aliases as my first name with my street name as my last name. Even though I just called about it, they ultimately still filed it as a dispute as I found out when I got the report in the mail weeks later. Anytime you change anything they seem to use the dispute as the means to accomplish it. In my case it was fixed and there was no dispute penalty. Why are you worried about disputing an incorrect name? Do you think they are going to annotate that or something?

FICO- Experian: 797, TransUnion: 781, Equifax: 804 (Updated Monthly)
Message 7 of 9
Credit_hawk
Established Contributor

By the way, I'm a III and I never use my suffix and I don't think it's even on my credit report and it's not on any of my cards. Who needs all that junk. I've never had a problem with confusing my fathers and grandfathers reports.

FICO- Experian: 797, TransUnion: 781, Equifax: 804 (Updated Monthly)
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

The problem isn't with getting my reports mixed up with my father, it's with multiple of my creditors being able to access my credit reports because my name doesn't always match my SS based on how it is represented.  I just find it quite annoying that the reason I get for a CLI denial for example is "credit bureau information missing or unavailable."  It also took me a month to get approved for a CC once.  It also took a CC 6 months to report to a bureau once, and I really wanted that $30k line there for my aggregate utilization.  Creditors have also had issues just being able to SP me and update my file (like the credit score they have on me) due to the name issue.  I know none of these things are huge issues on their own, but when combined I find it quite annoying.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.