Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to verify CA?

tag
Lucid08
Regular Contributor

How to verify CA?

I've been reading threads about proper DV techniques for the past few hours now, but I'm in a situation that I have been unable to match in my information search.

I have some medical collection accounts on all 3 CR's and I sent dispute letters CM on Nov 3rd to all 3 CRA's. Only Experian has sent me a confirmation letter regarding receiving my dispute letter(s).

About a week after sending the dispute letters I receive a dunning letter from a CA regarding 2 of the medical collection accounts. The thing is, NCO-Medclr is shown on all 3 CR's as being the CA who is reporting these two accounts, but the dunning letter is from a company called "West Asset Management" with an Atlanta return address. I pulled my Ex report a few nights later and NCO-Medclr is still listed as the reporting CA.

The SOL for GA is 4 years, and if I'm not mistaken GA law also prevents a CA from selling/reaging accounts beyond the original OC/CA agreement, so I'm kinda at a loss as to what to do in this case. Do I DV the West Asset Management company or NCO-Medclr? Is it possible that West Asset is an affiliate of NCO's? If so, shouldnt they state that in the dunning letter somehow? Or could this be a scam?

EQUIFAX - 640 1/05/12 - Goal of 720 by Mid May!
Transunion - 637 - 01/15/10
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to verify CA?

bump
Message 2 of 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How to verify CA?

Send the DV to West ASAP CMRRR. I bet that either the OC hired West and dumped NCO or NCO resold the debt to West. I suspect the latter. If you don't DV West within the 30 days, you'll likely see then on your CR shortly after the 30 days.

If I read you right, you disputed through the 3 CRAs the NCO listing. By law, they have 30 days or so to respond to your dispute or they must delete it. If 30 days passed, you might want to pull your reports.

In general, if you DV a CA and that CA disappears, then the OC can get a new CA, or it can be resold from CA to CA. This can go on and on and on, past SOL and past the 7 years. However, you can't get sued and if you dispute the CRAs past the 7 years, then the CRAs would delete.

I wrote "in general" because in many cases state law can trump fed law in matters like this. You also have HIPAA on your side here and you can always get them on violations due to medical privacy, if any happened. Maybe others could chime in here.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.