Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How too many store cards can hurt you!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How too many store cards can hurt you!

Let me just start off by saying that I've only been lurking around here for a couple of months now, but I have learned so much from all of you!

When I began my journey, I had medical collections, and a bad score of like 500 or something. Now the collections are all almost gone with a the last three due to be removed in less than a month thanks to charity care. My current scores are around 650ish.
I have the following:
Quicksilver $4000
Quicksilver $2000
GMC CapitalOne $300
US Bank R.E.I. $1000
Discover Secured $200 (had to get in with them somehow)

Store Cards:
Victoria Secret $650
Buckle $300
Kohls $300
JC Penny $500
American Eagle $400
Macy's $650
Walmart $300
76 station $500
Exxon Mobil $800
Cheveron/Texaco $500
Amazon Store only $800
Paypal $500

Most of these cards were acquired in less than a month! I know I was being crazy, lol.

So after I came to my senses, I realized I didn't really want all these store cards but in fact I just want a regular credit card with my credit union. They took one look at my credit report, and jaws went to the floor!!
They said I would have to close out some of my accounts and have no inquiries for some time. At first I was upset and disgusted with myself at the same time.
So here's the advice I got from the credit union:
Cancel 3-4 store cards
No inquiries
Take out installment loan (car loan with CU as of yesterday)

So I will pay off my car loan in two years and then take out my FIRST mortgage all with the credit union
I have frozen all 3 credit reports, took out a car loan and now intend to start saving.

So the moral of the story is too many cards may come back to bite you in the tush! Especially if your wanting IN with your local credit union, lol.
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: How too many store cards can hurt you!

That's specific to your CU.  Each creditor has its own underwriting criteria.  You really can't determine any trend based on a single data point but, yes, a given creditor could be concerned aboout a specific credit profile having X or more store cards or even X or more credit cards, Y or more avaialble credit, etc.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How too many store cards can hurt you!

An interesting point here on store cards versus credit cards and FICO scoring.  Last week I updated my reports (here obv) and was using the "scenario" tool with my scores.  When I clicked the option to add another credit card the score stayed the same, but when I clicked "add a store card" the result was -5 points.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.