cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How was your experience negotiating your own cc debt settlement?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How was your experience negotiating your own cc debt settlement?

What was it like? Who was it with & how long did it take? Did you have to do a lot of research & learn a lot before you started? How many calls do you estimate you made? What was your first call like-who was it to; I assume they weren't all fuzzy & warm :-). W/a cc NDS, how much do/can they check your income & expenses?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How was your experience negotiating your own cc debt settlement?

@Anonymous wrote:
What was it like? Who was it with & how long did it take? Did you have to do a lot of research & learn a lot before you started? How many calls do you estimate you made? What was your first call like-who was it to; I assume they weren't all fuzzy & warm :-). W/a cc NDS, how much do/can they check your income & expenses?

I pulled my TU CR for the very first time in my life in April, 2007 and learned that I had 3 collections and one charge off on my CR. I then knew I was in trouble and committed to bettering myself.

I found this forum in late August and began reading, reading, reading EVERYTHING that time would allow. Fortunately I had a lot of free time, so I'd spend 3,4,5 hours/day here reading and learning. I spent a month learning what needed to be done before I started the credit repair.

After educating myself, I pulled all 3 CR's and started to clean up the mess I made.

I first contacted 2 CA's on the telephone. I offered to PFD. Once accepted, I paid immediately with a check. The other CO, refused to PFD. I then went to OC and negotiated to PFD with them. It took 3 phone calls, a trip to the bank to get another cashier's check, drove to the hospital and paid them(all 3 were hospital ER bills for my daughter).

Within 45 days all 3 collections were deleted from my CR's.

The charge off I had was another matter. It was from an old Sam's Club acct. with GEMb. I talked to 3 different people, 4 different times in their debt recovery department. After analyzing my account, they agreed to delete the charge off AND the $16.00 amount that was charged off. It was deleted about 45-50 days later.

All of my telephone conversations with the CA's were upbeat and pleasant, because I made them so. Like the old saying goes: "you can't draw flies to vinegar..try honey". I put them in a posture to "help me help them". I took the posture that we were a team, both working towards equitable resolution to the problem. Basically I told the CA's that if they did not PFD, then I would not pay them.

It was a HUGE gamble on my part, to be sure. But working with them, I was able to achieve my goals. To have all the CA's and the charge off deleted.

"Diplomacy is the art of letting someone have your way". I practice this daily.

Message Edited by Sylviatob on 01-22-2008 09:06 AM
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for this very useful post Sylvia, it is really encouraging for those of us who are just starting the process
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I learned early on in coming here that no matter how bad your credit file is, no matter what your scores are like, YOU ARE NOT ALONE.

And together, WE can get credit healthy AND achieve more than we ever thought possible, credit wise.

in March, 2007 my TU score was 521. Today(although not stellar by any means), it is 655.

And all due to the wonderful people that frequent this forum.
Message 4 of 5
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Sylvia, don't sell yourself short, 655 is NICEEEEEEEEEEE. 

To do what you've done in less than one year is pretty awesome.

I was offered a pay-off through Bank of America, I believe it was about 70%.  I declined and entered into a DMP, got the reduced rate of 4% on the cc.  I, personally, believe in paying what I owe and feel good about myself.

If you absolutely CANNOT pay your balance, or make arrangements through DMP, consider discussing a pay-off with them or file bk.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.