cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'M DEBT FREE!! My sad to happy story.

tag
Beledona
Regular Contributor

Re: I'M DEBT FREE!! My sad to happy story.

Your story is very impressive. Smiley Very Happy

I have to ask, have you claimed bankrupcy in the recent past?
I did a few years back and now am paying off my student loans and a few collections that I collected after the Bankrupcy. 
I am really hoping to get my ficos up and have seen a steady improvement in all my scores.
Experian was 500 a few months ago now it is 574
Trans Union was 537 and now is 614
Equifax I don't remember where it started but it is now 587
I would be so very happy if in a years time I could have close to 700 range.
Is this possible? 
Message 21 of 26
MM1234
Regular Contributor

Hey sorry, I just saw this. It think its totally possible to get there if you keep having the jumps you posted. Those are great increases.

Pay off those collections ASAP !!

Then I would try to pay down your UTIL to as low as possible then crank away at those loans with bigger chunks if and when you can even if its only once a few months.

The more you can pay each month may lead to bigger jumps but even if not its good to get those bills all in the past. And you'll be much closer to 700 if not past it !!
Message 22 of 26
Beledona
Regular Contributor

I just paid off 2 of the collections
and my student loan will be paid as of the end of june!

I decided to just go ahead and pay off the last bit of it.  I have paid $8000. in 16 months on my student loan.
I am very excited that I will have only a few more collections to go. One of them is pretty big $1300.  this went on my credit less than a year ago.  I hope that maybe I could pfd on this and maybe for $1000.  We will see.
Message 23 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on getting debt free, I'm woking on that myself.  My UTIL is a bit high, trying to get it all paid down.  I have two CC with limits of 500 that are paid, the two that I have to get paid down are CC's with 3500 limits that are at over 2000 balances.  I'm making big payments on the two of those each month and using a debit for purchases until they are paid.  Nothing has been late in close to 2 years.  I'm working on one issue with an OC that is reporting as not being paid, and it was paid in full to a CA in 2005.  I have another issue with a Dep of Education loan that was paid in full after default but it is showing as two different entries on my CR.  How it shows as paid and 120 days late at the same time is something I'm trying to figure out.
I have a medical bill collection that I sent a check in to two weeks ago to pay off but they haven't recieved it yet, even though they are in the same city, at least when I speak to them they are very polite.  I initially contacted them and let them know I had seen the listing on my CR and for them to send a bill to me so I could pay it off, it was only for 320.
Going to have some fun with our old friend Asset Acceptance.  I know I shouldn't call a CA, but I'm working overseas and sending letters return receipt is not easy where I am, I also don't want them to have my address here.  It was for an account opened in 1987, and on my CR it only shows a listing for Experian, TU and EQ don't show anything on it.  I questioned it when it showed a payment in July of 2006, when no payment was made then, and also showing it would be reported until 7/2016.  The OC was Castle Credit.  It was for a book purchase where I got the merchandise in the mail and seeing it was not what I had ordered, returned the books to the shipper.  I wish I had read all of the forums on all of these matters before I called anyone, but when I contacted the OC they had no information at all because it was such an old account.  The CA (I'm justl earning all these abbreviations) was rude as hell though. Kept trying to tell me it was a valid debt.  The woman I spoke there may have screwed up when I questioned the alleged payment in July of 2006 when she told me the last payment on the account was in Jan of 1989.  I questioned her on that, stating that how could it be a valid debt if the last payment on record was in Jan of 89 when the SOL in NC (where the account was opened) was3 or 5 years depending on the type of account?  There was an Inquiry by Tate & Kirlin on my TU CR dated 11/10/06.  the gentleman I spoke to there was actually polite as well.  He stated it had been a skip trace and the account was back at Asset Acceptance.  Did a little research on them, saw their ties to each other.
Still working on all of this, will have it cleaned up eventually.
Message 24 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anybody can get debt free like her when you make the effort and sacrifice for a short 12-24 months.  I bet she didn't see the inside of a restaurant or go on any big vacations for a while.  Now she's reaping the rewards in the long term.

TRY THIS...

Step 1. Save up $1000 in a savings account as a beginner emergency fund. 

Step 2 Start paying down your balances from smallest to largest.  You will be debt free soon.

Step 3 Then build that emergency fund to 3 months worth of expenses. 

Step 4 At that point, you're ahead of 90% of Americans financially. With no payments, think of how much you can save and the freedom that brings to you and your family.
Message 25 of 26
jenkins
Frequent Contributor

ive been paying off my car loan, student loans and even making extra payments and my score hasnt moved in a very long time.  I even got some negatives removed and still nothingSmiley Sad

Starting Score: 643
Current Score: 657
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.