Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am new. What does this mean?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am new. What does this mean?

Hi everyone,

I am very new to this board but am eager to learn more on how to improve my credit scores.  I am still uncertain about a lot of the terminology and definitions right now so please bear with me.

Last year, I had subscribed to the free trial of Score Watch with allowed me to view my EQ score, which was 569 as of Nov 2007.  There were 5 CC accounts opened that I was unaware of and they all were past due and classified as bad debt; placed for collection.  2 of the accounts were even opened before I was 18.  I disputed the errors online and received an alert later stating the following:

Consumer disputes - reinvestigation in process
Charge off account
Account closed by credit grantor
Credit card

Granted I did not know what any of this meant and whether or not having the accounts charged off and closed by the credit grantor was a good thing.  However, once my free trial was up, I never signed up for the real version until today.  Now my EQ score is 720 and all 5 of those accounts were removed from my account. I didn't even have to send in proof about those 5 accounts not being mine so I don't understand on what basis without my proof in which they were removed.

The thing is that I received my reports/scores from TU (678) and EX (660) today and both of them have some of the same accounts I disputed back in November.  Should I simply dispute them like I did with EQ or should I do something else?

Thanks!
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
wahmom
Frequent Contributor

Re: I am new. What does this mean?

I would say dispute them as well. Since you only disputed EQ last year, then you should dispute the other 2 now. By the way congrats on the 720 EQ score!
Message 2 of 3
gary4872
Regular Contributor

Re: I am new. What does this mean?

If the accounts really are not yours and you have no clue where they came from you should consider filing a police report for identity theft. When you dispute with the CRAs, do it via US mail CMRRR and include the police report. That will help make sure the accounts are taken off.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.