cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am new at this, but I need to try to stay afloat!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am new at this, but I need to try to stay afloat!

Help! I have no idea where to start. I owe on three credit cards, my house, my homeowners assoc fees, installment loans, and now collections. I am planning to use my tax return check to pay off some of the debt, but I am unsure what to pay off first. I recently returned to graduate school and am working full time. My current thought is to take out an unsubsudised loan along with my subsidized loan for more than what I need for school to payoff the higher interest cards. Should I do this? I will be able to make payments on time with what I would owe from the loan when it would come due. Plus, I could use the interest on my taxes. I just can’t seem to get ahead right now. Please advise!!!!
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
ngerasimatos
Valued Contributor

Re: I am new at this, but I need to try to stay afloat!

I have many friends that have used their remaining funds from subsidized and unsubsidised loans to pay off credit cards, cars, and other things. technically, this is frowned upon and the DOE is going to make it much harder to get student loans in the near future, so act now if that's what you want to do.

Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value
Albert Einstein 1879 - 1955

800+ Club
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

need more info--scores-- what you owe with cls, etc.  then someone can help. 
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Arrdebt, you can only deduct the interest on student loans if you itemize your deductions. Having a house this is probably worth while but is something to think about before you count on having that deduction.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.