Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I could use some advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I could use some advice

Hi,

I was wondering if I could get some advice. I lived in the UK for three years, and now that I'm back I want/need to rebuild my credit. I have some negatives on my reports, and a couple of positive ones, but nothing like a credit card etc. I am unable to get a fico calculated, and my car loan isn't being reported by the loan company (which is frustrating as it's been almost 6 months now, and they do report). 

Ok so here are the negatives:

a bill from about 6 years ago or so, it's a medical collections, which I disputed as being past the SOL, before realizing there are different ways to go about it for medical bills. It's for $6, and to be honest I'm tempted to just send it to them and then remind them with HIPPA laws they can no longer report it once it's been paid. Is that going to work?

Then there is ER Solutions....they don't list what company this is for, I don't even have a full account number. From what I can tell they are well known for going after people for debts they don't owe. I disputed it and right now it's off my report, but is that temporary while the dispute is decided?

And then there is AFNI, for Chater, from 2007. I was in the UK in 2007, so I was definitely not ordering cable in the US. However, they claim that it was validated in June 2009. Funny, since I didn't get any calls, letters, nothing whatsoever from these people, and I had JUST arrived back to the US in late May. I was able to dispute the others online, but this one won't let me, maybe because it says it was validated? I understand not telling them you don't agree with it basically means they can say the debt is indeed owed, but that's a bit silly, they should have to prove they contacted you first.

So how do I go about getting rid of that one? I don't want to ask them to validate it since I am positive it's not mine, and I just want to get them to remove it.

And then there's the last one, which is a big one. It is from Ameren, a utility company. It's from about 5 years or so ago, it's hard to remember the exact dates as I went through an incredibly stressful divorce during that time and I have just blocked most of it out. Anyway, it's for $1500. My ex conveniently forgot it was there in the divorce papers so it's worded that anything not listed is my responsibility. I'm not even sure where to begin on that one...it was my grandmother's house, and she was put in the hospital and then moved in with my aunt, and gave me her house. From what I understand, the bill was seriously behind and my aunt promised to pay it, so I put the bill in my name. I then moved out and the next person moved in, but I have no idea when they may have notified the utility company, or whether or not the utility company rolled my grandmother's bill into mine, because they seemed to feel being family members I was then responsible for the past due amount already there (miscommunication maybe? I don't know). 

So it's a great big mess and I have no way of knowing what is really mine when it comes to this bill. I don't know whether I should just leave it and let it go, or try to get something done about it. It's saying the date opened was summer 2006, so they seem to be going by whatever collections date they have, which is not from when the bill was, because I had already been gone from the country for a few months by then.

Sorry this is so long..but I'm wanting to get this stuff rectified so that at least I can begin re-establishing my credit.

Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.