Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I don't want to pay my credit cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't want to pay my credit cards

I'm having some issues on paying my credit cards because i'm scared I won't have money for a emergency. here's my situation.

I started looked at my fico score when I was 22 years old. I pulled a 599 back in 2005. Since then, I have been trying to fix it but it's been up and down. The last time I checked, I have a 760.

Right now I have 1 auto loan (just paid off yesterday, sold car), 7 open credit cards with a balance of  4k (7k limit), and 5k (8k limit). The other 5 I have paid off.

I owe a total of 9k and I have 8k combined in checking/savings.

I want to bite the bullet and pay it off but I don't want to be scared if I lose my job or something. It makes me feel good to have some savings. I just moved to NYC and it's expensive.

I need a plan of action or advice on how I should take care of this. Just bite bullet and pay off one of them and then slowly take care of the last one? Please help. Thanks!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: I don't want to pay my credit cards

Best way to get out of CC debt is the debt snowball approach, which is also FICO score friendly.  You make minimum payments all all cards except the one with the smallest balance.  You pay as much as you c an risk, but at least the minimum until it is PIF.  Then attack the next smallest balance until everything is PIF.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi OP,

It looks like you have a 57% balance on one card, and a 62% balance on the second.

I would recommend you put a given amount into your emergency savings.  Often folks quote $1,000 as a minimum.

If you put $6,000 on your cards, you can pull your utilization down nicely.

That pulls your FICO score up nicely, and your creditors will see your utilization when they soft you.  Lower utilization builds stronger relationships with creditors and lessens the possibility of AdverseActions from them (i.e. closing accounts or lowering CL).

If you put $3,000 on each card, that leaves you with 14% on the first card, and 25% on the second; with $1,000 in emergency funds.

Then start your debt snowball.  You'll be in a good position if an emergency arises.

And with the high cost of living in NYC, you can't afford to be carrying the ultra high balances you currently have - especially on credit cards.

Best wishes as you move forward and hope you're enjoying the Big Apple.  It'll be much more fun if you're not carrying toxic (credit card) debt around with you.  Fun city!

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Note this is only my opinion and could very well be wrong.

Don't do it.  You need an emergency fund for emergencies.

If I were you:

1) Apply for a 0% BT promotion.  Citi Platinum Select has a promotion for 21 months.  I got a credit limit of $8300 from them.

2) Pay off as much as you can with the 0% BT.  Pay off the remaining balances in cash.

3) Divide your balance transfer amount plus balance transfer fee by 21 (or whatever the 0% promotional term is), and just pay that amount every month.  Less than $450 max for you if you get the Citi Platinum Select.

Message 4 of 7
DI
Super Contributor

Having high credit card debt is an emergency.  It robs you of your daily and future happiness.  I say pay the entire cards off and start paying in full monthly. 

Message 5 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Interesting post!

It raises some topics regarding what your goals are, and that, for all consumers,.it is not all just about current FICO score.

With a current FICO score of around 760, you obviously, in spite of your high util, have a strong past payment history.and I would venture to say, no major derogs.

So you appear to be on of the fortunate few who, unless you need to buy a major purchase in the near future through credit, such as a car or a house, your short-term FICO score does not seem to be all-consuming.

Looking at your situation purely from a FICO perspective, if your current score of approx. 760 already reflects your current level of util on your CCS, and you dont let that % util rise, and incur no delinquencies, then your score should remain farily stable  A 760 is strong, and should give you the FICO clout you need to secure additional credit if a rainy day should roll in on you.  The standard response would be to pay down your % util to improve your FICO score, but I dont sense from your post that immediate FICO score boost is your primary goal.

Turning to the financial aspects of your current situation, with a current revolving debt of $9K, and assuming, to make the calcualtions simple, that your APR on those cards is 12%, that reduces to 1% a month on the balance, or approx. $90 a month in out-of-pocket interest.  Money gone, unless your savings is paying over 12% APR return.  Making minimum payments each month, the first $90 you pay does not reduce your current principal balance. 

Security with having money in the bank is certainly a personal choice.  But consider that if the CCs show more strenght by reducing their balance, and thus the risk to the creditor, should a rainy day hit you, you would still have the available CL of those cards to fall back on.

I,  personally, would get them down to around 20% util to preserve their strenght.  Yeah, less money in the bank, but more strength in your existing credit.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all the great responses.

@ RobertEG

that's a pretty good analysis. My current FICO score already factors in the high util since i've stopped using both of these credit cards for the last 12 months and just trying to pay them off. I haven't had any derogs. One CC is 9% and the other is 14%

I think you are right and I should pay off my credit cards. I just made 2500 on both of the accounts. I'll still leave 3k for now as a precaution and see if I can survive on that. I'm not getting any rate of return by leaving it in my bank account. thanks for the advice. I don't anticipate my FICO jumping any higher. I'm not looking to buy a car, or house, or apply for any loans any time soon.

Thanks for all the advice. I just needed to hear another point of view to make me pay down the debt. Thanks!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.