Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I feel like it's 4th and long...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I feel like it's 4th and long...

I just pulled my scores. My TU score is 696. It has risen more than a 100 points, in just under 5 months. The simulator says that if all things remain the same (meaning my almost non-existent balance(s) - just $97 to report a balance on one account, and good payment history), I'll be between 712-722 in one month.

To date, I usually hit the median predicted score, smack dead in the middle of what it forecasts.

So, I should hit 700. Right? I'm gonna get to 700!!!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: I feel like it's 4th and long...

I'll transfer 4 points to you if I could. Early congrats.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Awww... Thanks! Smiley Happy

Luckily for me, just reading yours (and everyone elses) solid advice has brought me this far. You just don't know how far you guys had to drag me from the fire! The FICO train is a luxury liner. I'm really glad that I hopped onboard.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

4th & Inches...

TU FICO = 699

I tried not to pull. I tried so hard. I should have at least waited to see if BoA was going to do another update this month, clearing my balance. The torment! Target should be clearing either today or tomorrow too. I've convinced myself that (in spite of the fact that my utilization is less than 2.5% with the balances) I'll somehow be boosted up and over 700.

I'm so close. I can almost touch it. I can't stand the wait!

Somebody, please tell me to stop wasting pulls. Slap my hand if you have to. I should just wait until next month like I planned (based on the simulator). But, I'm so close...

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would slap your hand, but then I would be a hypocrite.  Um, all I can say is hang in there.  You are SO close. I know it's pure torture!
Message 5 of 6
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I just $97 to report a balance on one account, and good payment history), I'll be between 712-722 in one month.

Did you actually put in varying amounts to determine that if you had a balance lower than $97, the score would be slightly lower?

That anomaly actually does take place in real life FICO scores.

Here is what I would do. Go back and play with the calculator and find the balance range that would generate the highest score. Then pick a balance in the middle of the range and allow that exact amount to report on one and only one tradeline.

That is one way of getting as close as possible to optimum utilization as possible. 

Congrats on being on the 700 threshold.

Also congrats on discovering a FICO anomaly few people are aware of....There is an optimum balance to be posted for maximum FICO benefit.

Having a balance below that amount will lower the FICO score by a few points. That amount varies depending upon your credit file. It is some (undetermined) utilization percentage value (possibly below 1%).

Byrdman used the term "sweet spot" in discussions about the issue in the past.

An example of the FICO quirk is as follows. Roughly speaking, if you have a balance of $50 instead of $97 your actual FICO score will be a few points lower.

To be sure of the best balance to have, go back and insert balances into the simulator in $1 or $5 increments above and below $97 and compare the resulting score ranges. When you enter a single dollar in the blank space,for balance, there will be a lower score range than when you enter a particular higher balance. I am assuming that is how you arrived at $97. 

After you allow your optimal balance to report and you receive your new credit score you can allow balances slightly higher and lower to report in the future while checking resulting scores. You would then know the best balance to report when you are seeking maximum FICO scores, like before applying for a mortgage.

We are only talking about a score saving of 3-10 points. That may not be worth the effort on your part to determine your own actual threshold "number". I just wanted to mention how you can take your simulator adventure to a slightly higher level of "intellectual inquisitiveness". Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.