Regular Contributor
Zen

I just felt like being snarky....

Last year, a collection agency called me about one the last medical bills I had to pay...The collector taunted, threatened, yelled....I'm sure you get the idea.  I told him that I did not deal with collection agencies, and that I would pay the medical practiced I owed $342 directly. When I called the office manager and told her that I would pay a bit every month...she was downright nasty....and hung up on me.

So....I had my (free) automatic bill payer send $1 per week. Last payment was sent out Friday. I called the office to make sure my last payment had been received and told them it was probably the costliest $342 they've ever had to process. It likely cost them more to open envelopes and walk $1 checks to the bank  (small practice....) than it would have to dealt with me with a bit more civility.

ZenYoga
Established Contributor
so_confused

Re: I just felt like being snarky....

Thats GREAT! :smileyvery-happy:
9/18/08 TU=707 EQ=706 EX=702
Frequent Contributor
flygirl

LMAO.....wish I'd thought to do that a while back!!!! I can only assume the aggravation you caused them, as I work in the dental field. I probably would have refused your dollar, though....since it was already sent to collections:smileyvery-happy:

Zen wrote:
Last year, a collection agency called me about one the last medical bills I had to pay...The collector taunted, threatened, yelled....I'm sure you get the idea.  I told him that I did not deal with collection agencies, and that I would pay the medical practiced I owed $342 directly. When I called the office manager and told her that I would pay a bit every month...she was downright nasty....and hung up on me.

So....I had my (free) automatic bill payer send $1 per week. Last payment was sent out Friday. I called the office to make sure my last payment had been received and told them it was probably the costliest $342 they've ever had to process. It likely cost them more to open envelopes and walk $1 checks to the bank  (small practice....) than it would have to dealt with me with a bit more civility.

Moderator Emeritus
fused

Zen wrote:

I'm a finance manager for a medical practice and I am always willing to work something out with patients, unless of course they do what you did.:smileytongue:
Credit Profile -
FICO 08 Scores (11-08-2014): EQ 818, EX 817, TU 822
All three scores were 850. Lost points for not having an open installment TL. So, BE WARNED!!!!!
Credit History: 26+ years ~ AAoA: 12 years ~ Util: 1% ~ Inqs: EX 1

Regular Contributor
Zen

I asked for a payment arrangement and was met with hostility. They got what they deserved.
It wasn't that I didn't WANT to pay them...I just asked if I could pay it off in increments...so I did.
342 increments. Hey they got paid.

ZenYoga
Established Contributor
Irvin

Zen,
that's so funny. nice!!! That's what they get. I liiike
Frequent Contributor
nikkoslilmouse

my son was in an auto accident the Wed before Christmas and I now have a collection company calling me about his 298.00 ER bill. I told him according to the hospital the doctor has a contract with them and due to my income I am only responable for 20% of the total bill. He told me I had the kid now deal with my problems. Maybe I should do that to them only pay like .50 cent at a time.tongue smiley
Frequent Contributor
Lori344

Zen wrote:

Did you mean $1 per day? You owed 342 last year, only 52 weeks in a year so the debt wouldn't be paid off by now. A buck a day would even be better!!!! :smileyvery-happy:
Established Contributor
Irvin

at least you got your bills within a year...i was in an accident in 2001, got a collection appearing on my report for $96 ER billed in March 2007. I never received a single notice from anybody about this balance owed.

Paid it and now its on my report until 2012. great
Frequent Contributor
nikkoslilmouse

No I never did get the bills. They were sending them to an address I have not lived at in over 13yrs. I found it on my credit report when we went to buy a home. I called the hospital and they said that they could send me the paper work to see if I would qulify for a lower amount due to my income and I have 4 teenagers. So I said sure and I was responsible for 273.00. and paid it right away.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}