Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I just got served the papers?

tag
princeromeo
Regular Contributor

I just got served the papers?

a old title loan is coming after me for 11,000 dollars?  i never even took out this loan unless it was my brother using my name  and way   it was for 2000 and they say i owe them 11000 now wow.......should i show up and tell the judge that im a victim of idenity theft or will they drop it any way  the letter is saying that i dont show up to court a judgement will be placed in my name?????
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I just got served the papers?

bruce williams always says "the only things that will go away if you ignore them are your teeth". YES show up at court! if for no other reason to attempt to expalin and if that doesn't work to ask for time to obtain an attorney, then get one. i have a saying, how much justice can you afford? think it doesn't work? ask oj.

princeromeo wrote:
a old title loan is coming after me for 11,000 dollars?  i never even took out this loan unless it was my brother using my name  and way   it was for 2000 and they say i owe them 11000 now wow.......should i show up and tell the judge that im a victim of idenity theft or will they drop it any way  the letter is saying that i dont show up to court a judgement will be placed in my name?????

Message 2 of 8
princeromeo
Regular Contributor

yea in these cases what does the judge usually do?  this collection agency is crazy 11 000  from just 2000
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

princeromeo wrote:
yea in these cases what does the judge usually do?  this collection agency is crazy 11 000  from just 2000

no idea or experience so others will be along shortly, but you don't want them to get a default judgment (which they will almost certainly ask for).
Message 4 of 8
VLGaffEsq
Regular Contributor

You should absolutely show up in court!  But I also would strongly advise you to get an attorney to assist you in this matter, especially to protect your credit and your ID.
Message 5 of 8
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

Ditto ditto ditto... absolutely show up or else you lose.  Maybe you'll get lucky and the other side won't and that will be the end of it.  Try to get an attorney lined up in advance though, though yes they will postpone if you don't have one and ask for time to hire one.  Let the attorney do the talking.  Contact Legal Aid etc if you don't know of any who specialize in this area.  
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

what state are you in & what is your SOL....have you pulled you CR? If you have what does it say?

Always appear in court. You should file an ID theft report with the police & CRAs.

What is this for?
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Go to Court!

If outside the SOL have a Motion to Dismiss printed and ready to go (3 copies) will read something like:

Plaintiff
v
Defendant
Case #
Court

Motion to Dismiss

Defendant requests dismissal of this action because Statue of Limitations has expired. 

Defendant also requests that Plaintiff be prohibited form bringing further action in this matter in this jurisdiction or any Court in the sate of ____________ (your state).

Signature

Name Typed                                                                          
Date
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.